Caribou Gear

Early Archery New Mexico unit 36 tactics

36 is very steep country and full of prickly stuff in the burn areas. my advice to you is be in very good physical shape and have good boots, gaiters that are broken in. there are alot of elk but you need to be in very good shape to get to them.

mdgray, It was awesome! Incredible area and lots of elk, I was into bulls almost every day. Ended up killing a 300" 6 point and had a great experience. Thanks for asking!

That's awesome, congrats on the bull. I cant wait. I'm taking the family on memorial day weekend for a quick vacation to Ruidoso and to check out the area some. I've talked to a couple of locals and they suggested staying in the low country and avoid the high country. They acted like there is elk in every part of the unit and most the other hunters go to the high elevation stuff and i would find just as many elk with less pressure in the lower country. Does that sound inline with your experience?

That's awesome, congrats on the bull. I cant wait. I'm taking the family on memorial day weekend for a quick vacation to Ruidoso and to check out the area some. I've talked to a couple of locals and they suggested staying in the low country and avoid the high country. They acted like there is elk in every part of the unit and most the other hunters go to the high elevation stuff and i would find just as many elk with less pressure in the lower country. Does that sound inline with your experience?
It does not sound like the experience I had on two trips there. The low country is easier to get around but I personally saw way more elk in the high/tough country. Now bow season could be different but I doubt it makes that much difference. I hunted/scouted both areas,most days I would see between 5-15 elk low and 25-100 high as an example. You are in for a great hunt as dry as it is water could be key. It will effect horn growth if it continues to stay dry. My first hunt was a dry year and it was tough to find a six point. My second year was a good moisture year and 6 points were everywhere you looked.
I can't stress enough to get in shape the country is steep and high elevations.

mdgray, It was awesome! Incredible area and lots of elk, I was into bulls almost every day. Ended up killing a 300" 6 point and had a great experience. Thanks for asking!
Curious what was the tactic used to take your bull?

We drew unit 36 early archery. Three tags so we will have our work cut out for us. In all reality I’ll be over the moon if we fill one 😂

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peytb10
Back