Early Archery New Mexico unit 36 tactics

Mike Castillo

Hey guys, have a 36 archery tag this year, my first new Mexico tag! Super excited, and trying to put together a plan. I can hunt from the first until the 13th...Because I cannot pre scout (live in the east), I am planning on showing up on the 30th and spending the 31st through the 3rd or 4th mainly scouting. Being hot and dry most likely, and not being familiar with the country, water sources, roads, etc...I feel I need to get the lay of the land and put some boots on the ground before I start hunting hard.

I guess I am asking your opinion on what the best tactics are for the early season in new Mexico if you are not super familiar with the territory. Its not like I know where the water holes and wallows are, so I cant just sit water until they start bugling...My plan is to do a lot of glassing, and hopefully find something to stalk, and that they start bugling more toward the second week of the season. Thoughts? Thanks for your help, Mike

You guys draw a premium tag here and then want to DIY without a clue of how to hunt the area. You could go the rest of your life without drawing that tag again. The success rate for your hunt is about 40%. That is a high success rate for archery, I don't care what anyone says. But I will say that most non-residents who harvest elk there will have an outfitter. If you don't hire a guide you can pretty much count on eating your tag with a slight glimmer of hope that you will harvest an elk. Having said that to up your odds, scout the triangle (food, cover, water). Watch Bigfin's e-scouting series. The elk country here is vast and rugged. Plan on burning up some fuel and wearing out your boots. Good luck and congrats on your draw.

Focus on water but also know NM can get summer rains and there could be mud puddles everywhere. Prerut/rut is about cows and feed

Thanks guys. Gila I have prevailed with worse odds...Punch my tag or tag soup, I am going to have a good time! Cant afford an outfitter so I have to rely on my own gumption to get it done.

Hey guys, have a 36 archery tag this year, my first new Mexico tag! Super excited, and trying to put together a plan. I can hunt from the first until the 13th...Because I cannot pre scout (live in the east), I am planning on showing up on the 30th and spending the 31st through the 3rd or 4th mainly scouting. Being hot and dry most likely, and not being familiar with the country, water sources, roads, etc...I feel I need to get the lay of the land and put some boots on the ground before I start hunting hard.

I guess I am asking your opinion on what the best tactics are for the early season in new Mexico if you are not super familiar with the territory. Its not like I know where the water holes and wallows are, so I cant just sit water until they start bugling...My plan is to do a lot of glassing, and hopefully find something to stalk, and that they start bugling more toward the second week of the season. Thoughts? Thanks for your help, Mike
I've never hunted 36.. but I know plenty of guys that have. Lots of elk there. But lots of hunters. Get away from the roads as much as you can and hunt hard. If it's hot and dry water holes in the evening should be a really good option.

I've hunted it in 1st rifle. Rugged and deep, but a very good trail system and lots of elk. Stop by a ranger station first thing and pick up a good map. Will cost you ~$10. It will show the springs and major water sources, then start hiking your butt off and enjoy one hell of an opportunity.
You're going to see a bunch of elk, it's an ES tag, and you have plenty of time to figure it out. I wouldn't stress about it.

Tons of elk in 36 hard tag to draw. No guide needed there, get in shape, and get in deep and find water. You will see plenty of elk trust me. You don't even have to go deep in early archery is my understanding. I'd hunt as late in the season as possible.

Hunt elk in 36 like you would anywhere but I would look into finding someone who could pack one out if needed because 36 is a steep, rough place !!! Been record temps and no rain, hope for some rain and be in shape !

I’ve hunted 36 several times. As others have stated it is rough, steep, unforgiving country. That being said, be in shape get up high and glass at first light. You will see elk, you just have to be prepared to go through hell to get to them.

Once you put your plan together, feel free to DM me with a couple of questions.

W

Well, how did the hunt go?

mdgray, It was awesome! Incredible area and lots of elk, I was into bulls almost every day. Ended up killing a 300" 6 point and had a great experience. Thanks for asking!
Hey Mike glad to hear your hunt was a success! Gotta ask, did you see any Mule deer out there? I drew the late archery hunt for deer this season in 36

Yea, I saw some decent bucks...mostly in the lower country and they were tough to spot...I glassed up very few deer, most deer I saw were in lower elevations buried up in thick oak brush...But there are some decent bucks in there but they are definitely not everywhere...

mdgray, It was awesome! Incredible area and lots of elk, I was into bulls almost every day. Ended up killing a 300" 6 point and had a great experience. Thanks for asking!
Congrats on harvesting! Such a cool feeling when you smell em for the first time and hear them bugle!

The wilderness in unit 36 is closed until 12/30/21 or until the weather improves and they get much needed moisture. All roads leading to the wilderness are also closed due to the 3 Rivers fire.

That is typically how it is done when a fire is happening...It doesn't mean that there will be no access to the wilderness this hunting season. It could mean that but likely wont IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back