PEAX Equipment

Eagle takes Antelope

Baerman

Got this in an email today...

These photos were sent by Dr. Bill, who is a dentist in Rawlins, Wyoming. Eagles move in around Rawlins in the winter, and there's evidently been a lot of discussion about them taking antelope and even livestock like sheep and lambs. These photos were taken by a handball buddy of Bill, and will make you a believer. They have been sent to the Wyo Dept Wildlife.

Attachments

• Eagle_(1).jpg
    Eagle_(1).jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,400
  • Eagle_(2).jpg
    Eagle_(2).jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 1,334
  • Eagle_(3).jpg
    Eagle_(3).jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 2,788
  • Eagle_(4).jpg
    Eagle_(4).jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 1,204
  • Eagle_(5).jpg
    Eagle_(5).jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 1,320
  • Eagle_(6).jpg
    Eagle_(6).jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 1,237
  • Eagle_(7).jpg
    Eagle_(7).jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 1,450
  • Eagle_(8).jpg
    Eagle_(8).jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 1,184
  • Eagle_(9).jpg
    Eagle_(9).jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 1,131
  • Eagle_(10).jpg
    Eagle_(10).jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 1,560
  • Eagle_(11).jpg
    Eagle_(11).jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 1,242
  • Eagle_(12).jpg
    Eagle_(12).jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 2,287
  • Eagle_(13).jpg
    Eagle_(13).jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 1,544
  • Eagle_(14).jpg
    Eagle_(14).jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 1,203
  • Eagle_(15).jpg
    Eagle_(15).jpg
    399 KB · Views: 1,136
  • Eagle_(16).jpg
    Eagle_(16).jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 1,127
  • Eagle_(17).jpg
    Eagle_(17).jpg
    396 KB · Views: 1,300
Hum? In the first picture you can see that the antelope is already injured. Maybe an attack by coyotes or an old rifle wound?

I am NOT an expert, however, it appears that MAYBE the eagle was being an "opportunist". Sick wounded an fraile animal looks to be an easy meal. Hard to believe that an antelope couldn't out run and manuver an eagle.

Eagles, by the hundreds move into northeast Iowa every winter and for the most part the are SCAVENGERS. They are lazy for the most part and will wait around for a dead deer or discarded raccoon carcasses before they will hunt.

Either way, some very interesting photos.

good luck to all
the dog

Last edited:
wow those are some crazy pics im sure it was already wounded but must have been a hungry bird not to wait till it was dead

Awesome pics!!!!

Hard to tell if he was wounded before or after the eagle got ahold of it. In the 4th and 5th pictures from the bottom it looks as though the eagle is simply feeding on the antelope while it's still alive. It could've done that in the first place and slowly worn it down. Yes Antelope are fast but they can't run forever....and Eagles can cover miles and miles effortlessly.

There would be no reason a rifle wounded antelope would still be alive if it was hit in the shoulder....something else would've taken it down by now, AND the only marks on the antelope are on that shoulder, then blood down the side and stomach. There would have been more signs of struggle on the neck and legs area if a coyote could even sneak up on an antelope.

really!

This is evidence of a bad ass bird. I will make bets those wounds were from the eagle from the start. Plus you can see the wounds are on the high front shoulder not around the anus or hammies like coyotes would have done. Wyoming as we know is wide open and an eagle can follow/chase and haze an antelope for a long time with very little effort by the eagle. Not sure how many of you have been up close and personal to these birds but they are a pure killing machine when they decide to be.

I worked for the Wyoming G&F Dept. near Rawlins and I can assure you this happens more often than you can imagine. I have had several Wardens confirm this fact and have actually seen other pics of the same. The eagle has nothing but time, unfortunately for this guy. Not saying that this goat didn't have something going on but I doubt it.

I agree with you konasage! I love watching those Goldens soar for hours when I'm out in Wyoming hunting every Fall and they are certainly big enough to do what we are looking at in those pictures even if the animal was perfectly healthy!

This is evidence of a bad ass bird. I will make bets those wounds were from the eagle from the start. Plus you can see the wounds are on the high front shoulder not around the anus or hammies like coyotes would have done. Wyoming as we know is wide open and an eagle can follow/chase and haze an antelope for a long time with very little effort by the eagle. Not sure how many of you have been up close and personal to these birds but they are a pure killing machine when they decide to be.

I worked for the Wyoming G&F Dept. near Rawlins and I can assure you this happens more often than you can imagine. I have had several Wardens confirm this fact and have actually seen other pics of the same. The eagle has nothing but time, unfortunately for this guy. Not saying that this goat didn't have something going on but I doubt it.

That's what I'm sayin!

Back