Duramax

mlbuck84

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LS Crew Cab 4WD

I found ^ this truck with 80k miles on it for a great price. My family has grown and my Dodge Dakota no longer is sufficient for my growing family. Does anybody have this truck and can give some thoughts on how well you like/dislike it. Thanks

I got an '06 with 225,000 on it, no major issues.

Minor ones were, front left wheel bearing, twice, and the theromastats had to be replaced.

Of course, regular maint. items....batteries, shocks etc.

Good trucks overall. But if you do a lot of rough road travel, be prepared to go through the front end every so often if you want to keep things tight.

Thanks for that input. I forgot to mention it has the 6.6 in it. But I assume most do.

I have an 04 and have dumped a bit of money into mine as of late. The good thing about that truck is the fuel economy. The 03-04 models had the LB7 motor which has proven to be the best mileage motor they've had. You can expect between 17-21 mpg if your not romping on it. I've heard from many that wished they had their old LB7 back because the new ones just don't get the mileage.
Now with that said the downer is that they had injector trouble. So much GM extended a warranty on them for an additional 7 years and 100,000 miles I believe. Mine went out just after I bought mine but was completely covered under this warranty. I think yours has just missed that deadline :( You might check on it. Like someone else mentioned the front wheel bearings had to be replaced, my rear axle seals just started leaking, I had an oil cooler go out (rare) and just had a bunch of transfer case things fixed. :mad: I'm hoping that is all for a while.
I love the truck for the mileage, comfort, and space in the rear seats for a crew cab. Every brand has certain things that plague them. Ask a dodge and ford mechanic and they could list a handful of chronic problems each have. I had a friend just sell his with 200K for 14,000 bucks which is amazing. People love that motor and are willing to pay for it. Good luck with your decision

i sold my 2003 duramax last year and would do anything to get it back. Great truck. the 2003-2004 are similar to the power stroke 7.3's in that they are the desired model years of their make. As the previous posts stated front wheel bearings will go out. they are a pressed in unit at $400 each. And many of the trucks with original injectors needed replaced. I'd check to see if the truck you are interested in has had them done or the recall is still valid. Allison tranny is bulletproof and a work horse i was impressed how much it would hold back a load on a decline. comfortable ride, great power.

Lawnboy: I read about the injectors on a Chevy forum thread. They also mentioned alot of glowplug issues, along with the injectors. Everything you all mentioned is great information that i'll ask the dealer about. GLAD hear that it compares to the 7.3, I feel damn sorry for the Ford guys that bought anything other than the 7.3.

I was thinking about heading up to Dave Smith's in Kellogg, ID to see if he had a well priced 7.3 or duramax.

What about chips? ( not the edible kind Jon likes) But the bullydog or similar?

I was thinking about heading up to Dave Smith's in Kellogg, ID to see if he had a well priced 7.3 or duramax.

What about chips? ( not the edible kind Jon likes) But the bullydog or similar?

Before you buy from Dave Smith check out Salmon River Motors in Salmon. They have been beating Dave Smith on new trucks for the last few years. They also have a decent inventory of used.
I have an Edge Juice with Attitude chip in mine. It came with it. Lots of power and if your not careful you'll eat through tires in no time. I have to say though that truck stock will do just fine.

Back