duck pozole

WoodMoose

the pozole pictures got me going - here's my recipe when I don't use a pozole box of premix brought home from NM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I enjoy New Mexican Native American derived foods,,,,good simple flavorful meals,,,,(have to skip the fry bread most of the time though,,,,ain't as young as I once was!!) - had a hankerin' for pozole and even though tradition says "use hog meat" there weren't no hogs back when,,,,so I wanted to use duck,,,

ingredients

cup dried hominy
spice mix (don't ask - got it in new mexico)
1 duck
1 medium onion
1 garlic clove
bit o' bacon grease (any oil will work - but hey, had the grease)
red pepper powder
garlic pepper

used the electric pressure cooker

first - hominy precook - or you can soak them overnight. I opted to use a "precook" method - add dried hominy to cooker, add 6 cups water. Set cooker to 10 minutes on high. When done, allow pressure to drop on it's own.

While that is going on, cut up duck. Seasoned with garlic pepper and a slight dusting of the red pepper powder.

Heat bacon grease (just to cover bottom of skillet) to hot - brown meat on both sides.

image2.jpeg

(I could have ended here and just ate the duck - it tasted great coming out of this pan!!)

Open the pressure cooker (after pressure has dropped naturally), add pozole seasonings and stir well.

image1.jpeg

Then add meat, chopped onion, and sliced thin garlic.

Set pressure cooker to high for 40 minutes. Go get some work done or train dog, come back,,,serve with a topping of sliced spring onions and sliced jalapenos

image0.jpeg

should of used more hominy, but such is life

Like menudo, posole is often garnished with dried oregano, chopped white onion, red chile flakes, and fresh lemon wedges. Your spice mix probably has oregano and chile flakes I'm guessing. The lemon and onion are nice touch as well though. Just another variation to try.

My friends mom used to make the best Posole, pork bones and pigs feet made a great broth, hehe. Served with a stack of tortillas, yum.

Nice job, looks good!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back