Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Duck Decoys

I have been downsizing to teal decoys, but this early teal season it was remarkable how big ducks (mostly mallards), all avoided teal dekes. This happened repeatedly.

I have been thinking about repainting 2 dozen teal to mallard colors - What do you guys think?

I have been downsizing to teal decoys, but this early teal season it was remarkable how big ducks (mostly mallards), all avoided teal dekes. This happened repeatedly.

I have been thinking about repainting 2 dozen teal to mallard colors - What do you guys think?
I think it would be a good idea since early in the thread you talked about carrying teal dekes because of their size.

Yes, the size really is on the money. I can carry 2 dozen with ease. But only teal and sometimes woodies land in them.

Back when I was a starving grad student, I made silhouettes out of 1/4" or 3/8" foam. I spray painted them black and ran a pin flag wire through them. Stuck in the shallows around a sandbar on the Kaw, from a hundred yards out, they were, by far, the most realistic looking flock of ducks I've ever seen. Especially on cloudy days. I still have them and should go back to using them. A "bouquet" of 2 dozen of them held in a bunch with a chunk of garden hose was close to weightless. But they did not work in anything other than ankle deep water.

I don't do facebook but I browse facebook "waterfowl garage sale " and "decoy trader" you should find what your looking for at a discount. FWIW I've found the avian decoys to be worth the extra money in realism and durability. Good luck this year it's an expensive addiction. Looking forward to seeing you post some successful hunts!

Ive found some good deals in Facebook market place and for sale groups I hate Facebook but ever since they banned all the gun and reloading I like

I invested in a sled and game cart and that changed my life on the refuge. I was thinking I could carry the weight of the decoys, which I could, but they were so awkward to carry. Cart was a huge game changer.
I place my deeks/blind bag on a Hawk deer crawler. It was a huge game changer!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back