Dubya Sells Out Mule Deer to the Drillers in Wyoming

JoseCuervo

Does the Bush administration not hire Biologists???? Why on earth would you be phuggin' around on winter range for Mule deer? If there is one animal that does not need stress in the winter, it is the Mulie that I want to shoot next fall (hey Buzz, hint,,,hint...)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Drilling causes concern about mule deer
Associated Press

PINEDALE, Wyo. – For a second straight year, drilling for natural gas will occur in critical mule deer winter range, again raising concerns from environmental groups.

On Friday, Questar Exploration and Development Co. received U.S. Bureau of Land Management approval to drill eight wells on the Pinedale Mesa. Four of the wells would be drilled throughout the winter.

In November 2002, Questar was granted a six-month exemption to seasonal drilling restrictions and allowed to drill five wells from a nearby location known as Stewart Point.

This year’s wells would be five miles from Pinedale and about a half-mile from Stewart Point. Again, the wells would be drilled from a single well pad.

As the company did last year, Questar will employ directional drilling to minimize surface disturbances.

Directional drilling from a single well pad eliminates the need for eight separate well sites, centralizes production facilities and consolidates access routes to a single road, Questar officials said.

One drawback is that it can take as long as 250 days to drill the eight wells from one pad, hence the need to drill continuously throughout the winter.

The winterlong project also is part of a multi-year comprehensive study of the effects of oil and gas operations on wintering deer in the Pinedale Anticline of southwest Wyoming.

The study was contingent upon Questar receiving a seasonal exception to the BLM’s winter drilling restrictions again this year. Wyoming Game and Fish Department officials say the study needs to cover several years to draw effective conclusions.

The BLM’s Pinedale Anticline environmental impact statement approved in 2000 outlines the pace and level of development. The document prohibits drilling in deer, elk and moose winter range from Nov. 15 through April 30 but provides for possible short-term exceptions.

Environmental groups are strongly opposed to Questar’s Stewart Point winter drilling. They say it fragments crucial wildlife habitat for wintering deer and antelope that migrate through the region.

Conservationists also contend the BLM is breaking with its past decisions aimed at protecting mule deer when they are highly stressed and most vulnerable.

BLM spokesman Rey Adame said Friday the agency approved Questar’s drilling exception request but did not approve a request to allow for two drilling rigs to operate at the same time.

Questar has identified about 8,600 acres it believes holds the most potential for natural gas recovery. Thus far, the company has drilled 75 wells in the area.

“All of our acreage is under winter habitat, so when November 15 rolls around, we’re out of business,” Questar General Manager of Production Ron Hogan said.

Other operators can go farther south to BLM acreage not covered by winter habitat stipulations, a luxury Questar doesn’t enjoy, he said.

“So we had to ask ourselves how do we keep this thing going, and we came up with year-round directional drilling,” he said. “We believe not only is it good for us to have year-round drilling, but it’s going to be better for the environment, the habitat, visual aspects, air quality, for the (local) economy and the area.”

Year-round drilling from a single pad means truck traffic is reduced because equipment and materials can remain in one place, Hogan said. It’s also better for Pinedale’s economy because employees are not laid off and rehired seasonally but will be around for several years.

A coalition of five conservation groups filed a lawsuit last December against the winter drilling project.

“Protecting and restoring traditional wildlife migration corridors ... in the Green River Basin is a daunting challenge for the BLM,” said Linda Baker of the Upper Green River Valley Coalition. “Safeguarding these vital links between summer and winter ranges is critical to ensure the survival of abundant, healthy, free-ranging wildlife populations for the future.”

BLM officials believe the deer study will provide a model for designing future wildlife monitoring programs in drilling areas.

Preliminary results from last year’s study indicate habitat continued to be used by mule deer during drilling on the Stewart Point well.

Adame said data collected for the study thus far has not provided “conclusive evidence” regarding effects on wintering mule deer by drilling.

He said a “definitive conclusion” won’t be attempted until the entire study is completed in 2007.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on Gunner, you're over-reacting. GW only plans on allowing 26,000 miles of new roads for CBM.

I mean really, I dont see what the problem is with drilling in mule deer winter range...

cbm_drillpads.jpg

Great pic Buzz! That is hard evidence IMO, for not allowing some of this drilling. I wonder if damage due to wind generated power is similar? That is a big issue in UT.

Glad you posted the picture Buzz. I have seen it several times, but could not find it recently to post here.

Thanks for the picture Buzz. I'm glad I heat my house with wood, not gas. I sure would not want to be contributing to habitat distruction like this. Dang Bush anyway. At least he passed the healthy forest bill. Maybe now that we can cut more wood, we won't be needing to drill so many gas wells.

Paul

Healthy forest bill???

We'll see how much money actually hits the ground and just what happens.

If its like last year, every cent will be wasted on fire suppression failures.

Here's an opinion piece from the Missoulian reguarding the healthy forest bill. Can't disagree with anything being said here. Choke on it Ithaca and Gunner!

Paul

Forest law makes obstruction harder - Sunday, December 7, 2003

Summary: Forest restoration law won't do it all, but it should do some good.

President Bush on Wednesday signed into law the Healthy Forests Restoration Act. This law won't live up to all the promises its backers have made. Nor will it result in the ecological disaster predicted by its opponents. But the law will make it easier for the U.S. Forest Service to manage our national forests according to the judgment of the country's best and brightest land-and-resource managers, and that's a change for the better.

As supporters of this legislation, we find it a little embarrassing to hear the president of the United States say, as he did Wednesday, that the new law will "help prevent catastrophic wildfires" and relieve Americans from "enduring season after season of devastating fires." Many variables contribute to massive forest fires and no legislation can affect the most important ones - they're dictated by nature.

Fire is a natural force that always has shaped the forests of Earth. No law is going to change that. What we can hope is that fire will affect healthy, well-managed forests better than it does overgrown, overlogged, diseased, insect-ridden and generally mismanaged forests. Also, well-tended forests should make it easier to use deliberately set, controlled fires as a tool of management with less - but never zero - risk of unleashing unstoppable conflagrations.

Talk of fire-proofing the forests has much to do with politics. Walls of flame burning through California chaparral create great public concern. The temptation to play off that concern is irresistible to politicians. It's far harder to rally public support for merely managing forests better - no matter how much more accurate, and important, that goal may be.

Critics of this legislation predict forest devastation at the hands of loggers. Check out www.texaschainsawmassacre.org to get a sense of their dire fears (the Web site features a cartoonish George W. Bush wreaking havoc in the forest). Their hyperbole isn't matched by their sense of irony. The reason this legislation became necessary is that people and groups largely or entirely opposed to logging had so successfully exploited provisions of existing laws and regulations to prevent the Forest Service from doing its job. These well-meaning but naïve people equate nonmanagement with good management, forgetting we live on 21st century Earth, not in Eden. Humans are a factor in these forests, and we need to do our best to ensure our influence is for the better.

The new law will streamline the decision-making process for the Forest Service and public. It also changes the way courts will review Forest Service decisions. If this causes the Forest Service to make poor decisions, then, yes, the results will be bad. More likely, however, this will permit the Forest Service to move ahead with good decisions. Previously, it was just too easy for someone, anyone, who disagreed with even the best-reasoned decision to throw up legal or administrative obstacles.

This law isn't going to lead to the deforestation of Montana or America. And it isn't going to fire-proof the forest. It may or may not help the timber industry and logging-dependent communities - their fate depends far more on broader economic and market forces than on the amount of logging conducted in the national forests. But if the new law leads to even slightly better-managed forests, it'll be a success.

BHR- Thanks for the article! I do think the HFI could be good thing, just like the Farm Bill, but as Buzz stated it has to be funded and things done! Good intentions get little done on the ground. Heck 1/100th of what were spending to re-build Iraq would get quite a bit of things done HERE.

Paul,

I am not sure if I should reply to your "choke on it" comment, as I hate to interrupt Buzz making Ten look like an idiot. (Or does Ten make himself look like an idiot?
biggrin.gif
)

Be careful what you wish for Paul, as if we don't have an appeals process, the denials of Grazing permits, timber sales, etc... won't be appealed. Now you can have some clerk at the local Ranger Station denying Timber Sales and Grazing permits...
smile.gif
tongue.gif

What's that I hear???? Is that the Sound of Paul Choking on his morning Coffee and Toast????
cool.gif
tongue.gif
cool.gif

OR does ELK GUNNER <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> make himself look like an idiot? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Straight from BUZZ's keyboader and in true EG/IT fashion. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> The mule deer, like their elk cousins, can just become "acclimatized"... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And here I thought the reason we had declining muley populations in north Idaho was because they didn't acclimate as well to habitat changes as elk and whiteys.
confused.gif
confused.gif

So you guy's that want to save every thing, tell me what in your life you don't use that utilizes the raw resources that you are so much against...When you can do that then you have some thing to say, otherwise your just blowing hot air and being Hippicrites, practice what you preach!!!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back