Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Dual Dovetail Rings vs BackCountry Rings

Tubb2402

I'm curious if anyone has used the BackCountry Rings offered by Leupold. Traditionally, I've always used the Dual Dovetail rings but I like the idea of the mount and the bottom ring being one piece. It would seem there are smaller change of failure with less moving parts. For reference I have Howa 308 and Leupold VX5 3-15 44MM.

1626297696573.png

I like the one piece design a lot.
Should be more durable or at least less likely to have problems from error during installation.
But, not nearly as adaptable for different types and sizes of scopes.
And pricey.
I have had to use odd combinations of bases and ring hights to get what I need.

I've used them on a Tikka 270 win. No issues whatsoever. Shot good groups too. My setup was a Tikka t3x with a new Leupold VX3hd with medium size base/ring combo.

I've used them on a Tikka 270 win. No issues whatsoever. Shot good groups too. My setup was a Tikka t3x with a new Leupold VX3hd with medium size base/ring combo.
As a side note, I will be using pic rails and weaver style rings from now on just because of how many scopes I've switched and moved to other rifles. It's a pain if you want to move a 30 mm tube that had a 1 inch tube with set rings/base combo like you are asking about.

Those rings look fine. In fact may be the only improvement I've ever seen in base's and rings! Reason being the one piece design removes a joint! I have heard of people having ring's loose, even saw one once. Don't know how that happens but it does. My scoped rifles all have two piece base's and rings and I have never had the first problem with them but could see a problem is the rings come loose. I'd say if you like them, get them!

Thanks for the input from everyone. I've had issues several years ago with my dual dovetail due to a spur on the dovetail. It caused my ring to be loose after a few rounds so this new design makes me want to try it. I just don't want to use up ammo right now either so I may wait till that is more readily available.

Thanks for the input from everyone. I've had issues several years ago with my dual dovetail due to a spur on the dovetail. It caused my ring to be loose after a few rounds so this new design makes me want to try it. I just don't want to use up ammo right now either so I may wait till that is more readily available.
Usually the dovetails can be turned in or out just a couple of times before they get sloppy. I've heard that you can snug them back by squeezing in a vise, but never had luck doing that.

Put some backcountry on a Winchester model 70 with a Leupold VX3 HD recently and I love them. Made mounting super easy

Back