Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Drought Conditions

Have not been out of drought conditions in a long time here in SW NM. Or for very long.

just so people don't have to click the link to see how f&*ked we are right now

may wanna apply in previous burn areas if for no other reason than to avoid sitting at home eating [returned] tag soup because your area was closed this fall due to fire

1614967102792.png

Last edited:
Is it? I had some friends who drove to Red Lodge not too long ago and they felt like Eastern Montana was pretty dry.
Yeah, only in the past month, tho. There was not even enough snow to xcountry ski or snowshoe from any of the trailheads in the Beartooths until early February.

I have been told - and I do not know the truth of it as I am no weather scientest, or whatever someone who knows these sorts of things might be called - that this mostly late season snowpack runs off extremely quickly in comparison to early season snowpack, even tho it may be equivalent in amount of water. We will se, I guess.

do a comparison from last year to this year. Crazy how dry it is compared to last year. I sure hope western states get a lot of rain/snow this spring. Damn... Not many places that are average.

do a comparison from last year to this year. Crazy how dry it is compared to last year. I sure hope western states get a lot of rain/snow this spring. Damn... Not many places that are average.

Awesome tool. Thanks for sharing.

Looks rather scary. We need moisture in a bad way.

the worst part, is when you look at colorado, the entirety of the colorado river basin from headwaters to state line in colorado is under either extreme or exceptional drought. then follow the river along it's course through utah and nothing changes.

the green river is under moderate drought or abnormally dry from it's headwaters to utah.

i mean, we already knew the situation on the colorado river was a bad one from here on out into the future, but why it gotta be gut punched it like this?

Is it? I had some friends who drove to Red Lodge not too long ago and they felt like Eastern Montana was pretty dry.
Eastern Montana is very dry. We are screwed if we don’t get a damn good snow storm here quickly or some real early spring rains. We just dug a line up two days ago. There’s 4” of frost and then dry dirt from there on

this graph is the one you really wanna pay attention to:

1615053242437.png

things could still turn around. but we're not trending well. i mean WY 2020 was trending well but the early snowmelt cause a disaster more or less - see how early the blue line dropped off compared to average? and we're not even trending as well as WY2020.

SWE is just one component of a drought index anyway (average temps, avergae precip (snow and rain), average streamflows, reservoir storage levels, soil moisture, etc etc). whether the SWE numbers are good or bad doesn't tell the whole story of a drought.

las year's average snowfall coupled with early snow melt and a very dry summer means we're in a drought. the current realistic outlook on our current situation is not enough for us to forget about how bad things were last year, if not make it worse.

there is a reason all the major water providers are rather concerned right now.

Last edited:

Usually do...for the most part.

Everyone panics then we get a bunch of spring snow.

Snow pack is pretty good, but we went into fall dry....low country needs wet heavy snow and rain.

Updated info for Wyoming March 1, NRCS:

· Wyoming’s snowpack/snow water equivalents (SWEs) remained at 94% of median with a basin high of 111% (Shoshone) and a basin low of 31% (South Platte).

· Last year (WY2020) the state median average was at 117% -- 107% of median in WY2019.

Last edited:
Back