Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Drop Camps in Wyoming

lbirch

While researching for my upcoming elk hunt I was talking to one of the wardens about drop camps. He said a guy had to be licensed if we were to hire him to pack us and our gear in. I didn't ask him if the guide had to be licensed for that particular area. Can they do drop camps in any area. Does anyone know that?

Depends on the FS district, but my experience is that the outfitter pays for specific exclusive sites through a special use fee. If you are going to a furnished Camp with a wall tent, it would be an established site.

Outfitters will do a Gear Drop to a specified site if you provide all the tent and camp gear. They bill that per pack horse and or riding horse. Not all outfitters will do that during hunting season. It is more common on summer trips to high lakes.

Not many outfitters like another outfitter dropping hunters in their geographic area. I know Idaho has strict boundaries, and I think Wyoming has geographic boundaries to some extent. They definitely have to operate only in the Game units they are permitted in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back