Caribou Gear Tarp

Drones to check trapline

Nambaster

I am in Idaho and considering getting a drone to check my trapline. 805 yards is the end of my trapline. The elevation is what kills me. It’s about a 1100’ gain in elevation. Does anyone have any experience with footage out to 805 yards with a drone? There is no cell reception where my trapline is. My company is willing to order me a Ruko F11 so I guess my second question is, will the drone be able to check my traps?

I am trapping for wolves in the snow so they should be large and obvious from above. Any input would be much appreciated.

I am in Idaho and considering getting a drone to check my trapline. 805 yards is the end of my trapline. The elevation is what kills me. It’s about a 1100’ gain in elevation. Does anyone have any experience with footage out to 805 yards with a drone? There is no cell reception where my trapline is. My company is willing to order me a Ruko F11 so I guess my second question is, will the drone be able to check my traps?

I am trapping for wolves in the snow so they should be large and obvious from above. Any input would be much appreciated.
I’ve used my drone as far away as 3 miles.

But I also know you can’t use drones by law for hunting or scouting. See post by @Schaaf

It isn't possible for every situation, but putting your sets in locations that can be glassed can save some boot leather. I doubt you could tell if the trap had been sprung from 800 yards away with binoculars or a spotting scope, but you could at least tell if there was something in the trap or not.

Maybe there is a ridge a mile a way that you could drive to that you could look down on your set from.

I select my locations based on how I expect to check them almost as much as I do based on where I think the animals are going to be at.

I had a trapper once who tried to check his traps with binoculars. One of his sets held a live red fox in a foot hold trap for 4 days (24 hour check of the traps required along with removing any animal in the trap). His selected vantage point apparently wasn't the best. That was his fault. He received a citation and a year off from trapping. Trappers are absolutely under the microscope of the anti hunting/trapping folks. We have to be very careful.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back