Drone vs airplane

Should drones be legal to use for hunting with same airplane compliance regs?

• Yes

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • No

Votes: 53 85.5%

• Total voters
Never flew a drone not really interested but folks that want to cheat or find a easy way to do things seem to be how many think these days

When they make a drone capable of lifting you over private land to access other wise locked up public land then I am all in. No more corner crossing issues!

No. But you can find a bucket of YouTube videos of people using them in wilderness areas from hunters to backpackers. When you do report to the USFS.

I have a hate for drones in me like no other. Fantasize about shooting them down on public lands all the time LOL.
On that same note, what about all of these "through hikers" on you tube that post videos of places like the Thorofare or the Bob Marshall? I guarantee that they don't have film permits, do you report that too? How do you go about reporting?

When they make a drone capable of lifting you over private land to access other wise locked up public land then I am all in. No more corner crossing issues!

Google Helicopters :)

On that same note, what about all of these "through hikers" on you tube that post videos of places like the Thorofare or the Bob Marshall? I guarantee that they don't have film permits, do you report that too? How do you go about reporting?

Well drones are all around illegal in wilderness areas regardless of permits. Permits are only needed if they are monetizing their videos. Contact the local USFS office to the area about reporting.

I have been teaching a hunters safety class to 6th graders in one of our local schools. It is in a small school where most of the students are not experienced in hunting. Today we were talking about fair chase and the North American Model of Wildlife. I asked the kids how they could use a drone to hunt and a few of them said to chase the animal or drive the animal. I threw out the scenario where I did not feel like walking over a hill to see if there was a deer on the other side asked if it was fair chase to use a drone. Without hesitation all the kids said no that would not be fair chase.

I have been teaching a hunters safety class to 6th graders in one of our local schools. It is in a small school where most of the students are not experienced in hunting. Today we were talking about fair chase and the North American Model of Wildlife. I asked the kids how they could use a drone to hunt and a few of them said to chase the animal or drive the animal. I threw out the scenario where I did not feel like walking over a hill to see if there was a deer on the other side asked if it was fair chase to use a drone. Without hesitation all the kids said no that would not be fair chase.
Sounds like 6th graders have better ethics than a large group of hunters out there than

In off season drone use should be fine. But during is just having an unfair advantage. I'm in a small state we don't have plane spotters because it's so populated and small there's really no point. Now the use of a drone would make an unfair advantage.

I don’t think it should be legal for anything hunting related even in the off season. “Off season” could be considered the day before the opener and you know people would do it.
I could see the Influencer people out there now, drone fitted with a flat brim and a bugle recording flying all over public land just to get a few more subscribers.

On another note, my neighbor has a drone and out of nowhere I received some text messages from him one day. Aerial pictures from any and all angle of my home. I didn’t appreciate it or ask for it. Felt very invasive. I can honestly say If I saw it happen I’d be certain the drone didn’t make it back home.

It surprises me the comments on here about them being illegal during season but legal outside of season. Personally i feel that if we as hunters and conservationists believe in fair chase. We should also be able to agree that the potential to harass the same wildlife no matter what the season says should not be allowed. Think of the number of people who would use these to look for sheds at low range and the amount of pregnant cows and does they would affect. I don't even classify harass as to chase but to do anything that changes that animals regular behavior. Certain times of year just having to stand up and move to another location is a dramatic use of calorie expenditure. Personally this is a way bigger issue than game cameras.

It surprises me the comments on here about them being illegal during season but legal outside of season. Personally i feel that if we as hunters and conservationists believe in fair chase. We should also be able to agree that the potential to harass the same wildlife no matter what the season says should not be allowed. Think of the number of people who would use these to look for sheds at low range and the amount of pregnant cows and does they would affect. I don't even classify harass as to chase but to do anything that changes that animals regular behavior. Certain times of year just having to stand up and move to another location is a dramatic use of calorie expenditure. Personally this is a way bigger issue than game cameras.
Yeah. With new technology dropping in price and all the fat wallets from the endless stimmy, no end in sight to people trying to use the new tech to get an advantage. I am working on getting some other new tech banned during season here in my home state. Its really disgusting hunters have to have laws to keep them from being unethical but that seems to be the case. I was listening to a podcast of one of the instagram influencers and he was all for utilizing whatever means legal under the law to up his odds. Thats the kind of tools the "hunting industry" promotes indirectly. Its all about the end result and not about how you got to the end result.

Back