Drew Datil, NM rifle hunt

MoeHunt

I'm new to the site and I'm hoping to engage and help where I can. I grew up in New Mexico and have lived in Oregon and Alaska only to come back to NM during my 30 years with the Forest Service. I'm drawn to this site because I appreciate and live Randy's message of the value of public lands for the DIY hunter. I have spent my life managing public lands and DIY hunting.

Anyhow, I finally found the golden egg and drew a premier antelope tag on the Plains of San Augustine the location of many of Randy's videos. I've gathered my maps, studying the web and stalking the forums before I go scout it out. My honey hole is the assigned John Hand Ranch just south of Datil and west of the Very Large Array (satellite dishes).

Any intel folks are willing to share is greatly appreciated and will do what I can to return the favor.

Welcome to the site from just over the divide from their ranch.
I know John & Anita Hand. Nice tag.
She is my county commissioner & I was just at a meeting with her on the Plains of San Augustine water issue.
Know some of the next door ranchers too.
There is a big herd that circles that area of about 300. They go up onto HH then around and back on the Hands & Lee's place.
Every time I drive to the Lee Ranch there is a group or 2 on Hands or Marie's ,and decent bucks IMHO.
Ask BF,he has seen a couple in that area I believe......

Thanks Hank4elk. It sounds like a pretty healthy population to choose from. I'm looking forward to at least getting out there on county roads well before season to get a better lay of the land and hopefully introduce myself to the Hands. What's a representative size buck look like in terms of score /length?

I'm not much of a antelope hunter or judge of them,besides liking to watch them.
Call SW G&F office in Las Cruces & talk to the biologist,might still be Kevin Rodin.
Socorro BLM office biologist is another,can't remember his name.
State lands guy in area is knowledgeable on lopes,can't remember his name either....lol
Ask Big Fin,he knows these guys too, & I think he might have more functioning brain cells..............

I've seen some very large antelope around the Very Large Array. There should be book bucks in the area.

Let's just say you really did draw the golden egg. I've never NOT seen antelope there. Not to get your hopes too high, but it should be a relatively straightforward hunt with an opportunity for a B/C buck. Don't know sizes. But there are trophies out there sometimes not far from a road. Get comfortable with a long shot (it's open country) and you'll do fine.

I'm new to the site and I'm hoping to engage and help where I can. I grew up in New Mexico and have lived in Oregon and Alaska only to come back to NM during my 30 years with the Forest Service. I'm drawn to this site because I appreciate and live Randy's message of the value of public lands for the DIY hunter. I have spent my life managing public lands and DIY hunting.

Anyhow, I finally found the golden egg and drew a premier antelope tag on the Plains of San Augustine the location of many of Randy's videos. I've gathered my maps, studying the web and stalking the forums before I go scout it out. My honey hole is the assigned John Hand Ranch just south of Datil and west of the Very Large Array (satellite dishes).

Any intel folks are willing to share is greatly appreciated and will do what I can to return the favor.

I would give the proverbial "left (&$" for that ranch assignment. I assume it allows for the state trust lands east of his place, both south and north of the road. Here is a buck we photographed there. He was suicidal, standing near roads that surely made him a good target for a rifle hunter.

IMG_3994.jpg

Here is an episode of Bryce chasing a big lunker on the State Lands that are hard of the Hand Ranch assignment. That stalk starts at about 8:00.

[video=youtube_share;rg73cLyohdo]https://youtu.be/rg73cLyohdo?list=PLLdxutimd-JtUTs0_jXhu53eYl9nZGjwt[/video]

If there are better genetics than what exists in the 10 mile radius around that ranch, please tell me where, as I am going to start applying there. That unit is always my first choice in NM. The buck in my avatar was shot just to the south of the Hand Ranch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back