PEAX Equipment

Drew an elk permit in Unit 217

beargrasstx

Montana Unit 217

Can someone help me out with any information on this unit? I will be doing a DIY hunt and flying into Helena. Trying to google the unit and nothing is coming up. So any information would be appreciated. Best time of year to hunt there? Public access? Areas to check out (no honeyholes, I understand but maybe general areas of unit)

I have a general big game license but anyway possible to get a leftover mule deer license? The mule deer permits are unlimited and therefore 100 percent but I didn't put in because I didn't expect to draw an elk tag in the unit. Was planning on hunting another otc unit with a buddy but he convinced me to try for this unit. Not sure why 217 is special, and yes, I will be asking now that I found out I was drawn. So any possible way to get my hands on a mule deer tag or since I didn't apply for permit, it is a lost cause?

Last edited:
From what I understand, you cannot get a unlimited permit after the draw. That would defeat the purpose of creating unlimited permit units if they issued permits after the drawing. So plan on hunting another unit for deer.

I picked this unit based on an old friend that lives in Montana. I talked to him today and I know where we will be hunting. If anyone knows this unit or area and would like to share information PM me. I will share with you what I know from him or after my experience this fall.

Almost all private land with some block managment area typically needs snow and cold weather to move the elk off private that does not allow hunting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back