Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Dream jobs for some HTer?

I almost never think of doing nothing, but I do think of doing something different fairly often. On a ten-fifteen year plan currently (best laid plans…) and then would like to pivot to a second act.

Haven’t been able to figure out the “what” quite yet, it would be fine and perhaps even preferable if it involved going back to school for something else. I always thought it would be cool to work for a place like RMEF or something like that or possibly the DNR/State Park system here at home.

Sometimes I fantasize about doing nothing but hunt and fish, but I know that would feel purposeless for me quickly.

Last edited:
My dream job when my boys were young was stay-at-home dad, but now they’re in their late 20s so that’s out. I guess now it would just be something where I can complete a simple task without people bugging me, yet get paid enough to live on.

If you are going to apply let me know....we do get a little credit for referrals!! I have to tell you that other than my last Army job in special operations it is the best place I have worked.
I’m 22 years out from my retirement, but when I get there I’ll get you the referral bonus!

Something you golden agers need to keep in mind.

I retired early from the National Park Service. Losing my young son and then my wife ten months later took a terrible toll. I couldn't work for a long time. Being a park ranger was a job that I generally loved: honing my creativity, research, writing, and presentation skills; working with an eagerly receptive public (as opposed to babysitting kids when I was a HS teacher); lots of travel; and a physical work environment that was often spectacular. The downside was park management was generally terrible. But then there's always gonna be a downside to any job. As a disabled veteran with a PhD and decades of experience I could pretty much push my way into any job vacancy I was qualified for. At one point I was ready to go back to work and it probably would have been immensely therapeutic. So why didn't I? I was by then financially set for the rest of my life. And I was well aware what a struggle it could be for young people to achieve career status in the Park Service. If I went back to work, I'd be keeping some young person, possibly someone with a young family, from working. I know, I know. It's so un-American to be concerned about others, especially in the workforce. But it did concern me: I'm from the last generation to graduate from Sunday school.

So, those of you who are thinking of fulfilling your aspirations of a dream job when you retire from your present career, I would hope you consider the effect it may have on others trying to get started in life. Would you want some greedy old turd with a good pension keeping your kid from working?

Something you golden agers need to keep in mind.

I retired early from the National Park Service. Losing my young son and then my wife ten months later took a terrible toll. I couldn't work for a long time. Being a park ranger was a job that I generally loved: honing my creativity, research, writing, and presentation skills; working with an eagerly receptive public (as opposed to babysitting kids when I was a HS teacher); lots of travel; and a physical work environment that was often spectacular. The downside was park management was generally terrible. But then there's always gonna be a downside to any job. As a disabled veteran with a PhD and decades of experience I could pretty much push my way into any job vacancy I was qualified for. At one point I was ready to go back to work and it probably would have been immensely therapeutic. So why didn't I? I was by then financially set for the rest of my life. And I was well aware what a struggle it could be for young people to achieve career status in the Park Service. If I went back to work, I'd be keeping some young person, possibly someone with a young family, from working. I know, I know. It's so un-American to be concerned about others, especially in the workforce. But it did concern me: I'm from the last generation to graduate from Sunday school.

So, those of you who are thinking of fulfilling your aspirations of a dream job when you retire from your present career, I would hope you consider the effect it may have on others trying to get started in life. Would you want some greedy old turd with a good pension keeping your kid from working?
There's greed and then there's need.

I am retired. Have a great cabin in the middle of nowhere Alaska. Be great if folks would pay me to to just make sure that if they get into trouble I'll try n help.
Go snogoing in the winter. Walk around in the bush the rest of the year. Or sit on the deck n drink whiskey n beers. See who can bring in a moose to the cabin first.
Phones don't work very well so that's a plus. But hey I can do that now n I my beautiful wife still let's me buy a jug of whiskey once in a while. And I can just be all by myself. Guess I already have the dream job

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back