PEAX Equipment

Dream Critters

Zim

So after finally taking a giant whitetail this year, I got to thinking I’ve been fortunate to meet my lifetime trophy goals for critters of three species……elk, moose & now whitetail. With the remaining being pronghorn (85”), mule deer (200”) & bighorn sheep (any!). I am 61. I’m curious if others have goals and how many you have met so far.

I don't want to put a number figure on an animal as a goal. I enjoy the experience of chasing them and being in the wild areas that hold them. Just finally started travelling West within the last 3 years. Have gotten 2 respectable public land mule deer and a decent white tail for the wall. Pronghorn and elk are next on the list. After that I'm guessing a moose hunt will be on the list and also need to start seriously travelling to cross off more species of waterfowl. I've gotten to 24 of 41 hunting around the North East, but need to start planning particular trips to target new birds.

I feel blessed with whatever gifts God provides for me and dream more about having extra hunts/more time with loved ones over a size or species of animal.

That said, I have achieved my one real dream species of getting a moose and have gotten multiple whitetails that would qualify as "dream bucks" for me with my dad along. My goal on any given year is to get a 5.5+ year old whitetail regardless of antler size between my dad and myself. 4.5 year olds aren't uncommon, but there aren't a terrible lot that make it past that age in my area (at least that show up on the property I hunt).

Another "dream" I have would be for a dall sheep hunt in Alaska, but that would be more for the experience than the "trophy". Realistically, I will never do this unless it's going on a hunt with one of my children. When I have the funds to do this, I'd rather let them pull the trigger and just be along to enjoy.

A decent elk and another bull moose in the lower 48 would always be a bonus.

All these dream animals only really mean much to me by having a memory of time shared with someone I love.

Don't have to have the biggest just have alot of critters on the list. Moose, rocky bighorn sheep, desert sheep, dall sheep, stone sheep, Mt. Goat, oryx, and the list goes on and on. The other dream is to be chasing these type of critters well into my 70's. I'm 47 now.

Numbers do not determine a trophy to me. I harvested a spike elk on a remote diy hunt that I was happy to harvest as much as diy 400 inch bull I have harvested.
Trips every year to different states and memories are my trophies.

But dall and stone sheep will be my lifetime dream hunts.

I have taken...

1 big black bear - California

The following in NV
5 mountain lions
5 antelope - 2 bucks and 3 does
4 does and 7 buck mule deer
3 cow elk
And just last week - a desert bighorn ram.

My list is quite short by a lot of standards. I dont apply out of stste much, and just enjoy hunting close to home.

I would like a Nevada black bear and a bull elk. Mountain goat and Rocky/California ram are also on the list but are long shots for sure.

One thing that does entrigue me is a white tail deer.

Right now its still on the simple side so to speak. Cow elk, Cow moose, antelope, Central flyway mallards, pintail, cinnamon teal. Pheasants. huns and chukar. Its all driven by filling the freezer. except the cinnamon teal.

I have taken...

1 big black bear - California

The following in NV
5 mountain lions
5 antelope - 2 bucks and 3 does
4 does and 7 buck mule deer
3 cow elk
And just last week - a desert bighorn ram.

My list is quite short by a lot of standards. I dont apply out of stste much, and just enjoy hunting close to home.

I would like a Nevada black bear and a bull elk. Mountain goat and Rocky/California ram are also on the list but are long shots for sure.

One thing that does entrigue me is a white tail deer.
Did you do a write up on the ram I missed?

So far in terms of big game I have taken 8 whitetail bucks, and 2 mule deer bucks. I had always planned to hunt a variety of states but I didn't start until 2019 when I finished college.

• Lower 48 moose (ideally Maine but I would never say no to any bull moose opportunity)
  • AK caribou
  • At this point any bull elk seems like a very satisfactory goal but I think eventually I will want a mature one
  • Mature mule deer. I probably spend more time staring at mule deer pics and thinking about how to hunt them than anything else at this point.
  • Pronghorn - doesn't have to be particularly large, just one I like. Very attainable
  • Mature big woods whitetail - No agricultural influence, no baiting, solo, etc. I want to successfully get one snow tracking. Passed a few this year, so I know it can be done.
  • Mature blacktail - I have always been intrigued by them, and I'm curious how hunting them compares to big woods upper midwest whitetails
  • Any representative animal with a bow that I made. This one is a ways off. I'm still working on making longbows that don't blow up - but someday

Some of these will probably change, particularly moose because who the hell knows if I'll ever draw anything in the lower 48. If I could only do one of these, I would do Alaska caribou. Truly bucket list for me.

Mine has always been simple.
400" elk
200" muley (badluck twice has cost this from being done)
Alaskan/yukon BIG moose
Bison...checked that off this season!
Lower 48 grizzly near house.

While i know eventually i will get sheep and mt goat tags they just aren't that exciting to me as the above. In the end i live my dream every fall reguardless and the trophy on wall is just the reminder of the adventure that took place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back