Drawing New Mexico just got harder, Even if only by a little.

If the odds are already dismal, adding a few tags in violation of statute wont help.

Either change statute or clarify in regulation, don't whine because there needs to be compliance.
Both things were in statute. Both the 84% AND the round up. The previous draw results even said that the percentages were great than 100% of the quota because the round up was there. To my knowledge, neither statute has been changed, so the commission is violating statute now, just in favor of that guy from backcountry hunters and anglers NM, which is a total d*** move on all their parts.

Both things were in statute. Both the 84% AND the round up. The previous draw results even said that the percentages were great than 100% of the quota because the round up was there. To my knowledge, neither statute has been changed, so the commission is violating statute now, just in favor of that guy from backcountry hunters and anglers NM, which is a total d*** move on all their parts.
...and not issuing 84% to Residents violates statute.

Take it up with LSO...change one statute or the other. Simple, or just die with it, your choice.

Not sure how making sure statute is being followed is a "d***" move.

The statute contradicts itself, as noted above, unless you read it as an algorithm: compute the required %'s for R, NR, G, and THEN round without recomputing %'s. That's how it had been interpreted until this draw. Completely open to interpretation though.

I'm not a BHA member but was pursing this reinterpretation the best use of resources? This is a classic case of "scarcity" mentality (change hunt code rounding) vs. "abundance" (eg how about a guzzler project?). I don't think I'd cheer this even if I was a NM resident (which it's obvious I'm not haha). The effect of this change will likely be significant since a lot of hunt codes with 10 tags are now off limits, so other hunt codes will be more crowded.

Also, it's worth noting that the statute fairly clearly allocates 6% and 10% if there are enough NRs and Guideds respectively, rather than placing limits "not to exceed". Reading the TopRut article, or reading the regs book page 13 "Up to 6%" etc, one might conclude that reserving 6/10% is contrary to statute. Most hunts are well-subscribed by NRs relative to their allotment, so this isn't a huge factor, but watch out for that being reinterpreted too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back