Down Help

Adak is a really cool and really weird place...bit windy too ;)

If you are going early be prepared to go deep.
We are going in October, we are going to get a ride to the end of the road and hike out to Tear Drop. One of our guys is a NonRes coming up looking for a nice Big Bull. He used to live in Alaska and doesn’t have any cool animals from his time here.

but yeah Adak is Windy, plan to go and camp out deep, pack out for at least 4-5 days. We are going to look for one of the abandoned structures to camp out in.

I have an Arc'teryx Cerium LT that I really like. It's (I think) 850 fill power down everywhere except in the cuffs of the sleeve and the part of the collar that is directly in front of your mouth when fully zipped up. They use synthetic down in those spots since its performance does not degrade when wet, the way that natural down does.

I'd highly recommend this jacket if your search is not limited to hunting focused brands/products. I will note though -- and I think this has been mentioned -- but I wouldn't use this as an outermost layer in rough country. It's lightweight and very warm, but I'm not sure how durable it'd be in the thick stuff.
I will check this out for sure!

I went back and forth for quite a while trying to make the same decision. I almost ordered the SG but, in the end, I went with the Montbell Alpine and have zero regrets. It’s my favorite gear purchase of the last few years. I’d highly recommend you give it a shot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back