Dove hunt [opener]

cjcj

how did the dove hunt go for you guys? me and my bird dog [wife] had our limit in about 2 hours, it was pretty slow action this year for some reason [weather] a little cloudy, but we had a square mile of good farmland all to ourselves, lots of fun.

Sounds great.
cool.gif

Way to go on the doves. What is the limit (15?)? What kind of field were you hunting? Over a water hole, or walking?

I saw quite a few doves returning from my grouse hunt, but they were along the road which is a no-no. I wish I had a good spot to go up here. Pretty tough to miss a pheasant or grouse after shooting a limit of doves.

Well we had as good a time that can be expected with a steady rain that was a slight downpour at times. The boys had plenty of shots and fun. The oldest son limited out(150 with the next getting about 10. The youngest spent alot time at the vehicle with Mom but did get some shots in
wink.gif
. For myself personally I didnt do much shooting.( I think I got 6 doves) I passed on many shots(some I didnt have a choice because of people shooting into my area
eek.gif
)

I also was very angry for a bit at 2 complete slob assholes. They came and set up right in my shooting lanes and they had 2 dogs and a young child(about 4 years old)
I stated in a LOUD voice how uncouth they were for what they did while they was there. They shot toward the road where the vehicles were parked,shot at doves in that had landed in trees, then they fired at doves above me which made me have thoughts of firing back towards them. (But since the boys was having fun I kept my cool) I wanted to tell them that I would not shoot the kid or the dogs and let them realize that the 2 adults wasnt that safe. But I cant do that because I would then get in trouble.

So what I did was that everytime a dove flew toward them I would shoot at it in spite that it was out of my range or that it wasnt a good chance. I also stood in the open field to divert the dang things from them. So that is when they just shot at the ones in the trees some more. and the ones that was toward the road which I would not fire toward.

Then as I was leaving I found out they were the jerks that was on the road shooting at doves on the road and across the road. They even fired at doves right behind from where Vipe was in the car.
mad.gif

It was a good thing that I was so dang wet and cold so that I could do as we left was to give them the one finger salute.

So that was the day. It was raining from the time we left the house(5:25 am EST) to the time we got home (1:45 pm)

The boys had fun which is all that mattered.
biggrin.gif

Miller the limit here in AZ is 10 dove [6 whitewings] you can have 10 morning dove but the total [aggregate] can`t have more than 6 whitewings in it. we hunted a field [plowed stubble] near my home in the goodyear city limits, we had permission from the farmer, and we were waiting for the cops to try to run us out but they never showed up, i used to hunt in my front yard [5 acres] but there is to much development around me, technicaly i think i could still do it, but why piss off the neighbors? Nut sorry to hear about the assholes near you, but i sure would like to see some of that cold,cold weather down here! it was nice this morning until about 7:30 then it got hot, its supposed to be 107 today.

Hey Nut that 150 is a typo [i hope], miller i sit in a chair on my fat ass [just being honest] and my wife picks up the ones that i can`t get to, on the other side of the ditch etc. i have a bad hip so i sit in a chair under a big tree and shootem , she is a great bird dog w/ great legs.

Nut, I don't like to stir trouble, but I would have called DNR or whoever runs your game department on those bozo's. We have enough public relation problems without Shooters like them (I won't call them hunters). You guys had a hard enough problem gettin a dove season didn't you. Then you got idiots like that out there. I have the local game wardens number on speed dial on the cell. I found trash in the woods, that has an identifier in it.(mail, prescription bottles, subscriptions) I call. They come out get the evidence and pay a visit. I see some one doing something illegal. I call, give them as much info as I can. Last year, I had two idiots shooting sitting ducks in an old bog, and letting them lay. I seen them do it two nights in a row. I called Wayne, he was out there waiting. Got em. $500 a piece.

Me and Youngroinhood had a good time and shot our share of Doves had a great time.

Flipper went also. He likes to pull trigger to.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-02-2003 12:33: Message edited by: MEATHEAD ]</font>

well my buddy an i took his 2 boys out for there first time as hunters (use to be bird dogs )they had a great time between the 2 of them they got 7 dove i limited out in about an hour my buddy had 5 an complained about his gun not working rite (same complaint for the last 10 years ) we all had a great time

I took my son out and let him shoot this year. He got 2 but shot at 100. I didn't shoot just let him have at it. We saw hundreds of birds but They were mostly out of range. I found a secluded spot and we just walked and pushed all the birds infront of us up the canyon. I think I'll take him again tonight and shoot a little my self. Didn't see another hunter all day and I'm glad I could pay attention to my boy and not have to look for idiots.

2FASTNAZ! don`t take your son hunting tonight, you can only hunt until noon, unless your in a northern unit, if thats the case never mind what i said.

whiskers...there was a few reasons why I didnt contact a wildlife officer. #1. My 2 oldest were down the field about 200 yards having the time of their life. #2. I didnt have a number to call one at hand and would have to leave(which would have been right up their alley. #3. I wanted to mess up their plans by being a putz and shooting at the doves that flew by my area towards them. #4. It was public land and they could legally sit right next to me and it would be okay #5. I didnt have it on film and the wildlife officer woould have to take my word against theirs which would only stop the hunting for my family as I would have been even more pissed and then leave in a huff.

Well a few years ago when they started the until noon hunt. [the first year] i went after work at about 5:30 and i was like wow there are no hunters here, i`m by myself and as i`m getting my limit in about 35 min.[dove everywhere] i kept saying to myself wow this is opening day and i don`t even hear any shot`s! then i get home with my birds and call my older brither and tell him about it , he say`s you dumb ass you can only hunt till noon, and i`m like you gota be shitting me and he say`s after 20 yrs. they changed it! so i`m dam lucky i didn`t get busted big time, now i read them [regs] every year they always change something, but they never used to change for years, i called my buddy at game and fish and he said they were mostly giving warning tickets that year, because they didn`t seem to get the word out very well.

Back