Double Rifle Case for Airplane trips

StHubert

My buddy and I are going to Alaska in September for a Moose hunt with his cousin. This will be our second trip and we are looking at being a little more efficient with our packing. Our rifles are a minimum of 47 inches in length overall and we need a double rifle case for carrying on an airline. I would prefer that it be around 50 inches in length in case we decide to add muzzle breaks to our rifles. Our guns weigh about 10 lbs each for a total weight of 20 lb.s plus 40 rounds of ammunition which should bring the total weight up to around 24lbs. We will be splitting the cost of this case so we can go somewhat expensive. We need to keep the total weight around 50lbs which is the airlines maximum weight for coach class tickets. So the weight of the case can't be greater than 26lbs.

Any suggestions? Thank you for your help.

I've used my double SKB case for several years now, and really like it. I also have a SKB single rifle case. It has the TSA locks. Last year an agent commented how easy the TSA locks made his life. I'm sure the new SKB doubles are available with the TSA locks also. Just something to consider. P.S don't pack your ammunition with your rifles. Throw it in another bag.

I've got a Pelican 1750 case that I really like, I have used it for shipping two rifles on an airline, it works even better with just one gun and accessories, but it did a good job handling two as well. Very well built and for the price to quality factor it's the one I chose, it's the only one I have any experience with though. Here's a link that might be helpful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXhT7WtIsTg&feature=related

If you are planning on putting ammo in the case too, better check your airline! Most don't allow ammo in firearms case!
I have a Cabelas case that holds two rifles. Been using it for at least 12 years....beat all to hell by baggage handlers but still serves me well. Only lost zero once and it wasn't bad off.
I do NOT use TSA lock on my firearms case......

I've been using the same SKB double case as cur dog for the last 10 years. Its been around the world a couple times with no issues, a couple times to Africa, back and forth to Colorado and Montana about a dozen times each. I generally have 2 rifles in it along with various other items.

I think about any Airline approved case should work. I'm a bit leery of aluminum cases, they don't seem to handle impacts as well as plastic, but I'm sure would protect just as well.

I generally don't ship ammo in the case, but have depending on the airline. Some airlines request that it be combined, or in a separate locked container, others don't care. I honestly don't think TSA cares were the ammo is, check their website.

Good luck on your hunt.

I've got a Pelican 1750 case that I really like, I have used it for shipping two rifles on an airline, it works even better with just one gun and accessories, but it did a good job handling two as well. Very well built and for the price to quality factor it's the one I chose, it's the only one I have any experience with though. Here's a link that might be helpful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXhT7WtIsTg&feature=related

^^^This^^^

fishin4....thanks for the video link, just the info I needed.. Have a single I need to cut the foam on.

I've purchased two Strong Cases by TnB. They aren't cheap, but they are made really well and tough. Plus, they offer a ton of nice options like recessed spring loaded handles (a good idea when you fly), recessed locks, etc. Check out their "special order cases" and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.strongcasebytnb.com/products.html

Thank you all above for the responses,they are greatly appreciated. We are flying on Delta and are familiar with their rules.

Timberman56, good suggestion on replacing the foam with clothes. Bambistew, appreciate the opinion on aluminum versus plastic, I thought otherwise.

Also, Bambistew, out of curiosity, if you are traveling within the US how do you ship your ammo, if you are traveling internationally what do you do?

Thanks guys!

+ 1 for the Pelican. take out foam and pad with clothes

I'm military so I'm partial to my Pelican as well. I cut the top layer of foam in the shape of both my rifles and they fit perfectly. Pelican can't be beat for durability and protective capability.

Also, Bambistew, out of curiosity, if you are traveling within the US how do you ship your ammo, if you are traveling internationally what do you do?

Thanks guys!

I either put the ammo in the case, or in the bottom of my duffel. The last few years I've been putting it in the case along with knives, sharpeners, and other things I don't want in my checked luggage. I did have a factory box come open once in my duffel, and TSA duck tapped it back together for me.

The TSA regs require that it be packed properly, doesn't specify where it goes. Most airlines don't care one way or the other, or so I've found. They ask where its located, but I've never been asked to show it. I've only had one issue with a rifle.

When I flew on a puddle jumper in Africa, I had to put my ammo in a locked box, separate from the rifles, and it was its own separate piece luggage, couldn't be in a bag. Looking back I should have just left it with my PH and skipped the hassle.

I have a Pelican case sitting in my closet. Nice case, but heavier and wider than the SKB. The SKB stacks and the Pelican is a side by side. Other than that I'd say they're pretty equal.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back