Dog Training Methods....

Flytier

I have two black lab pups that I am starting to train (3 months old and cute as hell. I'll post some pics pretty soon). I've scent trained dogs before but not for hunting. Has anyone used the liquid scent for training and which do you think is the better method in the beginning, using this scent or a bird wing? And if I use the scent first, what age would be good to start with the wing?

I've trained one lab and one chesapeake.

My bible was "Water Dog" by Wolters. I'm sure its in your local library.

There is always more than one way to train, but for the most part the book is right down the middle in my opinion.

Training your retriever,by James lamb free.

You will also need a retriever trainer. I just happen to have one for sale, if you're interested.

It's a device that uses a specialized 22 blank to fire a dummy anyhere from 20 to 300 yards.You hold it in your hand and pull back on a plunger,then release,which causes the blank to fire.The depth you seat the dummy on the firing shaft,and the strength of the blank you use [low,medium,or high charge]determines how far the dummy will fly. It sounds just like a 12 gauge going off,and it has a very positive effect on a dog who has already been taught to retrieve short distances,and exposed to a cap gun or 22 blank pistol.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 05-31-2003 15:24: Message edited by: Seldom Ever ]</font>

Seldom, email me the details and I'll see if I can talk Doc into it.
wink.gif

Disregard Seldom, I read farther down in the selling section and got my questions answered. I'll get back with ya.
elkgrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 05-31-2003 19:47: Message edited by: Flytier ]</font>

Whenever they can carry a dummy....attach a wing and throw it after dark so they use their "nose" to find it.
It's a technique I've used for years and I'm convinced it works.
WD

I will comment here. At three months old I would not worry much about scent. I would get a pigeon and let the little bugger have it in short grass in the yard. He will be a little scared at first. Coax him into getting it. Soon the pup will grab it and carry it around. This will introduce the pup to birds. After that take the pup on walks in light cover. When the pup is not looking toss the pigeon (make sure the pigeon is wing clipped) into the light cover, up wind from the pup. If it is dry out side, wet the bird down a bit this will help the pup to smell it. You can also introduce the pup to gun fire at this time when it will go after the bird with gusto.
After this the pup will start thinking he can hunt and find these great litle birds every where.
Work on yard training the most. Sit and stay should be one command not two.
At three months old the pup should be able to sit with both verbal and whistle commands. He should come to both verbal and whistle commands. he should retrieve both in water and on land. This is not too much to ask of a 12 week old. Just don't expect it to be perfect.
At about 14 weeks you can start training for quartering. This is a simple thing to do if you have a couple of friends to help. When you get to that point I would be glad to help.
For right now don't worry about the dummy launcher. You don't want a pup near this thing for several months. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Ron

Here are a couple more links.
Refuge Forums
Retriever Journal Forums
Wolters and lambfree are outdated. The best book that I have read so far is;
The 10-minute Retriever by John & Amy Dahl
Smart work for retrievers by Evan Grahm
The authors of both of these books post up on these forums that I have linked for you.
Have fun training your pup. And Good luck.
fc5e4ef8.jpg

fc511704.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-04-2003 19:52: Message edited by: BlackTimber ]</font>

Flytyer,
The methods I use are for training spaniels. Since labs are mostly trained to fluse. The info works the same on them. Here is a picture of my Male Buzz. He is the second spaniel in Idaho to get his Master title.
He is steady to wing and shot and his water work is equal or better than most hunting retrievers. I like teh book by James Spencer called HUP training spaniels the american way. In that book the info can be used on any flushing dog. Some of the methods I use you will not see in books. I took these good Ideas from other trainers.
I live in the Buhl area I would be glad to talk to you over the phone if you would like. Ron
fc7614be.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-04-2003 20:40: Message edited by: Idaho Ron ]</font>

Very nice looking dog there Ron. I look foreward to talking with you. Sounds like I have a lot f learning to do my self. Thanks for the info.

Back