Caribou Gear

Dog Retrieving Eggs.

thomas89

Conversation got deleted on another page before I could read the majority of the results/peoples opinions on the matter.

Basically the OP was curious as to what kind of eggs their free ranging dog had been bringing back to the house.

In essence, my reply was that it was irresponsible to allow the dog to free roam and raid nests. Also threw in my $.02 on how crummy it'd be if the dog got shot for running deer or get into something and get itself hurt.

The couple responses I did read before it all got shut down (musta got hot at some point) varied from the OP that it was private property so essentially no big deal, to another gentleman saying I'd lose my mind if I knew dogs were allowed to hunt deer in other parts of the country.

I can't be the only one thinking "bad dog/bad owner" on this one?

No mention of Sitka or flat bills that I recall, so we can't let that skew our opinions.

Lets just say I had a friend who told me>
He had a resident Non Migratory Geese problem " Invasive species"
He trained a golden/Lab/shepard mix to fetch eggs from the nests every morning

Lets just say I had a friend who told me>
He had a resident Non Migratory Geese problem " Invasive species"
He trained a golden/Lab/shepard mix to fetch eggs from the nests every morning
Trained ...I’ll allow it.

Not free ranging, but we had a lab who would find hidden Easter eggs, toss them in the air and catch and eat them on the way down. Interesting poop that week.

On a somewhat related note, our city bought a border collie that was trained to act like a nest predator to haze the local geese. They also got a permit from FWS to addle eggs.

I much prefer Denvers recent approach to harvesting the local geese and giving the meat to food banks.

Back