Dog Food

There is no best! There's food your dog does well on and I'm sure you can find food it doesn't do well on. You can buy the most expensive premium food and it could fail your dog or the most inexpensive grocery store food and have your dog do well. Reality is dog's will do well on most foo they are fed. Horseback trial dogs going through hard training may need a specialty food but the average hunting dog doesn't expend near the effort of a horseback trial dog. Yet lot's of people feel the need to feed them like they do. It is possible your dog may be allergic to out that doesn't make the food bad for another dog. Pro athlete's keep on special diet's to get the most from their food for their body eed's. Then there's the pro that eats junk food and does fine, go figure.

I find if funny a lot of people go out and road their dog's till they are fit as a fiddle then can't keep up with them in hunting season! Next guy just feed's his dog what he can afford and dog won't run with the great shape dog but the owner can normally almost keep up with it!

Does anyone have any experience or insight on PMI exclusive? I wanted to go with Purina pro plan as that is what you see most with any type of working dog sponsorships or endorsements and I'm sure it is top of the line. I also wanted to get food i knew i could go pick up locally if needed and am pretty much limited to Walmart and the local feed store here. Walmart doesn't carry purina pro, when i called the feed store the mentioned they dont carry purina but they have the PMI brand(purina mills institute) I guess when purina dog food was sold to Nestle there was another line of food connected to thier stock feed division at PMI. Beside a 2% difference in protein the PMI seemed very comparable to purina pro plan. And also the feed store has a PMI program with the retailers of every 8th bag being free. So PMI exclusive is what I've been giving the pup and she seems to really like it, solid stool and not gassy. Shes been growing like crazy and coat is nice. So far so good. There is a TSC in the next big town that has ppp but I didnt want to commit to a 2 hr round trip every time I needed dog food.

It's hard to find other reviews out there but I wanted to see if the folks here had any experience with PMI dog food.

@TwistedSage i set up an auto ship from Chewy.com. I can’t find the Pro Plan Sport locally either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have any experience or insight on PMI exclusive? I wanted to go with Purina pro plan as that is what you see most with any type of working dog sponsorships or endorsements and I'm sure it is top of the line. I also wanted to get food i knew i could go pick up locally if needed and am pretty much limited to Walmart and the local feed store here. Walmart doesn't carry purina pro, when i called the feed store the mentioned they dont carry purina but they have the PMI brand(purina mills institute) I guess when purina dog food was sold to Nestle there was another line of food connected to thier stock feed division at PMI. Beside a 2% difference in protein the PMI seemed very comparable to purina pro plan. And also the feed store has a PMI program with the retailers of every 8th bag being free. So PMI exclusive is what I've been giving the pup and she seems to really like it, solid stool and not gassy. Shes been growing like crazy and coat is nice. So far so good. There is a TSC in the next big town that has ppp but I didnt want to commit to a 2 hr round trip every time I needed dog food.

It's hard to find other reviews out there but I wanted to see if the folks here had any experience with PMI dog food.
PMI Exclusive has a very good rating from Dog Food Advisor. PMI Nutrition has a poor rating. These guys do a ton of research on dog foods. https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/exclusive-dog-food-dry/

Pro Plan Focus Large Breed. I used to mix in some of the sport food during hunting season, but we don't really hunt super often or super hard so I quit doing it. Instead I'll mix in some organic coconut oil for extra fat...it also helps with skin and coat.

@TwistedSage i set up an auto ship from Chewy.com. I can’t find the Pro Plan Sport locally either.
I do this also. And you can get a discount for setting up auto-ship. I believe shipping is free over $50 too so thats covered.
I like Chewy and have never had an issue with them. Hell, they even sent my dog a hand written birthday card last week!

Thanks JLS, looking into chewy now. I'll likely use the PMI exclusive until we switch off puppy to regular then order the PPP. Do you change Finn's food depending on if its hunting season or off season or just feed the same all year round?

When do yall usually switch from puppy to adult food?

Thanks JLS, looking into chewy now. I'll likely use the PMI exclusive until we switch off puppy to regular then order the PPP. Do you change Finn's food depending on if its hunting season or off season or just feed the same all year round?

I fed puppy food till one year of age, Purina Pro Plan large breed puppy. I feed the Sport year round. Maybe later down the road I'll switch to a different food in the off season, but for now he gets plenty of exercise and it's not an issue.

I do this also. And you can get a discount for setting up auto-ship. I believe shipping is free over $50 too so thats covered.
I like Chewy and have never had an issue with them. Hell, they even sent my dog a hand written birthday card last week
You can also do this on Amazon.

☺ Diamond Naturals

Not sure anyone elses experiences with raw knucklebones, but we tried those and smoked ones made for dogs from the local butcher and that just wrecked havoc on his stomach; switched to deer antlers were used when he was young
X2 for Diamond Natural. All ordered from chewy.com.

We switch at one year old.

you guys probably dont have a lot of seals in your area;) We do feed them seal meal but also beaver, salmon and sometimes large game ( wood bison is good ) with Inukshuk.

I am aware that this info is of no use to you fellows but someone ask me what we feed and then ask me to respond here

We feed Purina One. One of our friends is a vet/bird dog guy and he uses it. He told us the most important thing is to choose a food that is meat based vs. grain based and has high protein. That one is easy to find and not as spendy as some others. We supplement with Pro Plan Sport in super cold late season weather.

I use Pro Plan Sport, with the black and purple bag. I started because the professional dog trainer who helped me with my puppy used that stuff. I've been very happy with it.

Lab started with nutrisource puppy and then converted to Purina pro plan

Back