Caribou Gear Tarp

Dog boots

TwistedSage

Any suggestions? Protection against sand spurs being my top concern. One of my better quail spots is rife with sand spurs. I tried some nylon face fabric boots last year and it helped but is he stepped if then rights they would still puncture the bottom.

I have used Lewis Dog Boots for years and have had extremely good luck with them. Never tried the nylon or cordura style of boots because I never had a reason to with the Lewis boots.

I have tried dog boots because the city salts the streets up here in the winter and it is very cold on their feet. But they fight the boots. Puppy (9 year-old Fr Brit) will just lay down and not move till I take them off. They were too big anyway. Lab Ellie will tear them off. I try to avoid prickly areas when pheasant hunting in Montana. The dogs get slick about sidestepping the stuff. Gets to be instinctive I think.

I try to avoid prickly areas when pheasant hunting in Montana. The dogs get slick about sidestepping the stuff. Gets to be instinctive I think.
Most people do avoid it...that’s what makes it worthwhile 😉 It amazes me how well a seasoned dog can avoid cactus at a full gallop. But there are a handful of places we go that it’s nearly impossible. She walks like a newborn moose for a few minutes when you put the boots on, but once she gets out of the truck it’s full steam ahead.

We’ve used the Grip Trex boots with good luck for prickly pear. No experience with sand burs.
I really like that they have the vibram sole great thorn protection from the bottom and they look the most form fitting. Are the tops of those boots like a looser mesh construction? Burrs cling to mesh like it was made for them.

Last edited:
I have used Lewis Dog Boots for years and have had extremely good luck with them. Never tried the nylon or cordura style of boots because I never had a reason to with the Lewis boots.
I like the full rubber construction, are you wrapping tape around the top every time on these?

I really like that they have the vibram sole great thorn protection from the bottom and they look the most form fitting. Are the tops of those boots like a looser mesh construction? Burrs cling to mesh like it was made for them.
Yes, it’s a nylon breathable fabric. If your burrs like that, these might not be for you.

You can also make some out of inner tube. Dogs get used to boots, just like they get used to neoprene vests. Just make sure to acclimate them ahead of the hunt.

I like the full rubber construction, are you wrapping tape around the top every time on these?
Yes I do, I wrap the dog’s leg with vet wrap before putting the boots on then tape the boot to the vet wrap, easy to take off when you are done for the day but secure enough to stay in place while hunting. Hopefully the picture helps.

Attachments

• B5580F3C-59BF-41C4-93F9-2061545742E4.jpeg
    B5580F3C-59BF-41C4-93F9-2061545742E4.jpeg
    370.5 KB · Views: 1
Yes I do, I wrap the dog’s leg with vet wrap before putting the boots on then tape the boot to the vet wrap, easy to take off when you are done for the day but secure enough to stay in place while hunting. Hopefully the picture helps.
Thank you, I'll look into that vet tape as well, my concern was for getting the dogs hair stuck in the tape. I'm guessing the vet tape is like the athletic tape that only sticks to itself.

Thank you, I'll look into that vet tape as well, my concern was for getting the dogs hair stuck in the tape. I'm guessing the vet tape is like the athletic tape that only sticks to itself.
That’s it, any farm supply store like Tractor Supply or the like will have it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back