Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Dog/bird photos

AlaskaHunter

When taking photos of the retriever and bird, I like to get below the dog's eye level.
I try to capture the landscape story the bird came from, some unique aspect of the bird,
if possible reflection in the dog's eye.
Here is an example with a hun where the covey flushed across the stream.
The unique aspect of the bird is the orange face.
hun.JPG

Here is another example where the unique aspect of the goldeneye is the long orange feet.
goldeneye.JPG

Never had any luck getting any of my dogs to hold a bird and pose for photo. Once it's to my hand, they are done with it. Late great Pearl loved to "play the game" and retrieve dead honkers and pheasants I hid in the field but Opal was not interested. She was however great at retreiving downed birds. Ellie is the same way. "Here, now it's yours. I'm done." I suppose force fetch may have fixed that but how important are photos? Here's two of my favorites. Opal. Gone now three years. RIP
IMG_4106.jpgOpal 2018.JPG

I like your thoughts on composition but might suggest that you back off a bit to show more of dog and background. Have the dog centered in the photo rather than filling it up. Good work and great suggestions. I plan to use them for portraits of Ellie and Puppy before we cash in.

Last edited:
I agree, get as low as possible. I have probably missed some opportunities on birds because I was shooting a retrieve pic, but I will continue to try for those action shots. Not a great hold, but he was 7mo. hahah
50868310021_acdd227b40_3k.jpg

Added some vignette to draw attention. Damn weed got in the way of greenhead.:mad:
50851347776_f0a45bcc77_3k.jpg

Take some time to make a memorable shot. This was my last hunt with GuNR and glad I have it.
49392395411_2ff0fc16e8_3k.jpg

If the light is right, I am not afraid to shoot a second retrieve.🤷‍♂️:D First duck at 5 months.
50419451088_0135726f43_3k.jpg

Doesn't always need to be a dead bird to tell a story.
50868518877_8c48a931a0_3k.jpg

51544327685_09e6430133_3k.jpg

Film is cheap, take lots of pics.
51424039299_b0e953ddbe_3k.jpg

Last edited:
From yesterday's morning hunt, I tried to capture the snow story by tossing the goldeneye first into the snow,
then having the lab hold.
View attachment 254614
Much better! Gotta say, however, I think the pink flo collar is a distraction. Very much atypical for that situation. Odd that you'd use one of those waterfowl hunting. Your dog must be contained in a blind?

@BrentD has a very good eye for dog pics. He took this one which is one of my favorites.

20220925_130944 (1).jpg

I also love ones that are not as classically perfect. Usually taken when I'm trying to get a good pic and snapping lots of them. Like this one where he's staring at the birds and licking his chops...

IMG_5267.jpg

Some really good photos. Excellent understanding How to put a photo together. I asked Catherine to get a shot or two of me with the dogs next time out. She left her phone in the truck last time out, gave me this shot instead. Really great work on those dog and bird photos people, really good to see.

Attachments

• 1218B4FE-DB57-4A19-9090-9AF46FAF5717.jpeg
    1218B4FE-DB57-4A19-9090-9AF46FAF5717.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
Sitting back and patiently waiting for their turn to go get a duck. Two dogs in the blind is always fun for further driving that urge to retrieve. It absolutely tears their soul apart when the other is doing the job! From a photographer level, blind bag and that dang wind fluffing up the hair kinda ruin the photo.

Resized_20221228_135132.jpeg

We were all looking for deer. It's actually quite amazing what they can see. When there is a deer moving in an opening, even 200 to 300 yards away, they will keen in on it. Amazing eyesight they have! Again, flopped ear from wind ruins the photo!

Resized_20221225_070224.jpeg

Some really good photos. Excellent understanding How to put a photo together. I asked Catherine to get a shot or two of me with the dogs next time out. She left her phone in the truck last time out, gave me this shot instead. Really great work on those dog and bird photos people, really good to see.
Now there's a picture I can relate to! Best bed in the house!

Getting a dog's eye view definitely helps to improve photos. I like to try and include the hunter in shots too if possible to show the whole story and the bond. I got a bunch of practice chasing dogs around at a couple of Hunting Retriever Club training days.

IMG_7229 by chrisbrennerphoto, on Flickr

IMG_9982 by chrisbrennerphoto, on Flickr

IMG_8093 by chrisbrennerphoto, on Flickr

IMG_9780.jpg by chrisbrennerphoto, on Flickr

IMG_0022.jpg by chrisbrennerphoto, on Flickr

IMG_0246.jpg by chrisbrennerphoto, on Flickr

IMG_8143 by chrisbrennerphoto, on Flickr

Back