Caribou Gear

Does, Dudes, and Butt Sniffin' Bucks - Colorado 3rd Season

We decide to split the expanse of east facing slopes that are broken by small east/west trending valleys into two, from north to south. I'm glassing the south half, he is glassing the north half.

My half has the does.

I can't help but focus on them. But I know I need to watch the rest of the country. I scan the other valleys and the east facing slopes above them. But every 5 minutes I return to the does and count them. I am praying the number goes up each time.

They are meandering down valley. I do quick scan of the country and return to them, I count, I count again, then one more time.... I whisper to my buddy "we have a 7th deer..."

He says "are you serious?" and I quickly reply "you betcha"

I count again. Seven deer. I'm watching intently as they walk in a broken line down valley. I'm focusing on the last one, it looks like a doe from this distance, as I watch I see it scoot forward as the doe in front of it stops, it drops it's head... and then it leans in for a butt sniff.

"We have a butt sniffer!" I loudly whisper. It's about 3:05. This is all the information we need. I immediately follow with "pack up, time to hike."

The deer have worked their way down valley to a small flat spot on the furthest slope. We think we have a pretty surefire line to stalk our way up the ridge opposite on our side of them:

Inkeddoes at the end_LI.jpg
red is the deer, yellow is us

We work our way down and to our right. Walk up a flat ridge to get eyes on where the deer were; they are still meandering, in no hurry. We drop back down in the wash below us.

As we pick our way through it we occasionally come across small deer carcasses, some bleached by the sun with intact rib cages, missing heads and legs; we also find some legs that are not yet bleached by the sun. I imagine large rain events have probably pulled some of these bones from up higher as these small canyon bottoms turn into small creeks during thunderstorms. I wonder if these bones are the result of lions or hunters; predators nonetheless I presume.

But we don't stop to ponder these things. We press ever so slowly onward, waiting to reach the intersection with the larger canyon opposite the deer, in hopes to sneak up on the ridge and be within range of deer that have not been carried away by whatever it be that carried them away.

We reach the intersection and start working up valley again. This canyon has a lot of bushes and sticky vegetation in the bottom, moving proves difficult with steep sides and loud dry bushes. But we pick our way through. And as the valley sides lessen in their intensity slope, we start to move up towards the ridge; slowly, quietly, anxiously.

We pick the least vegetated line towards a flatter spot. We drop our packs to begin to crawl as we top the ridge, carefully pushing our rifles in front of us. We gain the top and have a vantage point. The deer are still there. We pull up our binoculars and I only count 4 deer, all of them clearly does. We worry that if that was a buck, did one or two of the does get annoyed and leave, taking him with them? We feel confident that wasn't likely, but who knows. We continue to watch.

We are laying flat, necks are starting to hurt as we hold our binoculars up. I range the deer, almost 200 yards exactly. We keep watching.

Suddenly I see two deer emerge from the right and behind the flat ridge and bushes, the one in tow has antlers.

I excitedly whisper "Buck!" and immediately follow with "you wanna shoot?" I get an unexpected and immediate response "no, you shoot."

I don't question it, there is no time to. I grab my rifle, scoot forward, zoom to 9x on the scope and rack a round. I rest the rifle on a flimsy little bushy plant, it's all I have, can't go back for the pack. I find the antlers in my scope and rest the rifle on the vitals, holding for about 200. I squeeze the trigger. The 30-06 rumbles through the valley above us, the wind is totally gone at this point and it's dead calm.

I've lost the deer in the scope immediately following the shot. The does are startled and run back up valley, but they don't seem to be in a hurry. My buddy excitedly exclaims, "he dropped like a rock! nice shot!"

But I never feel so sure, I always assume I botch each shot, even though, frankly, I never have up to this point. I count the does moving back up the ridge, I only count six.

We start hiking over there.

One of the first things I say after pulling the shell out of my rifle and ensuring it's empty is "why didn't you wanna shoot?"

The response was "I would've had to totally move into a new position, it was too risky, and I never even saw the buck. You had eyes on it and you were better positioned"

I only half believed him.

We work our way up the ridge, I'm always anxious walking towards an animal I just pulled a trigger on. I'm hiking fast.

2/3 the way up the ridge I see a deer laying on the ground. We approach, deader than dead. I sit down above him and breathe a big sigh of relief, catching my breath, definitely a dead buck.

I look back up towards our glassing knob. The stalk totaled about 0.9 miles, took about 70 minutes. That was so damn fun. A part of me felt bad I shot and not my buddy. But he was so excited for me.

dead deer.jpg

The deer was down. My second mule deer. And believe it or not, my biggest mule deer.

I couldn't be more excited. What a fun hunt. And a 2020 season not all lost.

IMG_4003.JPG

We began the hard work of getting this deer back to camp. Work I really enjoy.

Hiking back in the dark we start to think back to the wind this morning. We were using my buddy's large family camping tent. Not exactly the type of tent you want in a small hurricane. We press onward, hoping it's not crumpled up half a mile away...

My buddy had one more morning.

Congrats on a nice buck! Great read. Thanks for sharing. My love for Mule Deer continues to grow.

This is a poem of patience, economy of words and finally, success.

953,728 stars, six Trump tweets & a slab of extra aged Tilamook. Well done. Congrats on the deer!
Was that star tally corrected for the White Claw transgression?

We ran this by the rules committee, and their direction that was no stars can be awarded until the OP has completed the tale, therefore all stars, points, innuendo and cheeses shall only be awarded upon the totality of the post.

The decision stands. There is no longer any avenue to seek redress.

This is the way.

Thanks all! There is more to the story and it will be brought to conclusion. but work calls today cause i pulled the pto off my schedule after getting back yesterday

@JLS when you read and enjoy reading great trip reports like @wllm1313 puts together you certainly feel inspired to put together a trip report of your own that others will hopefully enjoy

@Ben Lamb can we put forth to the committee as a possible exoneration of the alleged crime that dead bucks are celebrated with neat single malt scotch?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back