PEAX Equipment

does anyone still hunt with ww1 or ww2 rifles

Yeah, she was always told it was from that era but we looked at a few things and think the info is incorrect. It might be an army surplus like she was told but a few years later. It's a 700 for sure but I think someone in her family got their wars mixed up. That's why I said we haven't been able to verify it. I keep saying I'm going to look up the S# but haven't done it yet.

If there is a reason to believe your Remington 700 was used in the military, it might be a good idea to do some real solid research on it... The Marine Corps utilized modified Rem 700's (designated as M40) as sniper rifles since the mid-sixties. In the remote chance yours turns out to be one of those, they are pretty valuable.

My father hunts with his father M1 garand from WWII. Its heavy as all get out and kicks hard compared to todays guns but he won't hunt with anything else and hes 74.

when l say modern settings l mean there is a difference between using milsurp because that's what you have and using one because you want to. when l think of milsurp rifles l think of ''minuet of man'' accuraccy not moa, l'm sure that modern hunting bullets and even factory ammo are light years ahead of where they were when many of these guns were manufactured.
It is a misconception about the accuracy of military rifles and guns in general. I have shot hundreds of varmints with them and when you shoot rabbits to take home, you have to shoot them in the head and those guns can do it...

100_2089.jpg110_1170.jpgDSCN0841.jpgscan0005-5.jpg

That is a good looking rifle. Who made it?
The FN Mauser? It’s a frankenrifle. The receiver is new old stock R. FAMAGE 1957 from Colombia with a Husqvarna barrel. I refinished the vintage Fajen stock and put the vintage Weaver 4x scope on it. The sling is a vintage M1907 that I retreated. Here’s another look:
FB4610AB-E100-44A1-9352-BE7681E0EFCF.jpeg

My first year in Montana I filled my deer tags with an M1 Garand, but that was when I still had vision in both eyes and 20/15 in the good one. Hunted most of a decade with a sporterized Remington-built Model 1903A3 Springfield. When my wife decided that was her rifle (a retired USMC gunny did an amazing trigger job on it) I built up a Czech VZ-24 '98 Mauser action with a post-war Fabrique Natinale military contour .30-06 barrel, Timney trigger and safety, synthetic stock. First few years I got by just fine with an old fixed 4x Weaver before going to a 3-9x40. I worked up 180-grain loads that would shoot MOA with either of the latter, even with the original WWII-vintage two-groove Remington barrel on the Springfield. Used a scout mount and scope on the Springfield, too, so I could keep the aperture sights as back-up.

All of which no longer impresses me. Now I just want to go rabbit hunting with shrapnel and his M1918A2 BAR.

If there is a reason to believe your Remington 700 was used in the military, it might be a good idea to do some real solid research on it... The Marine Corps utilized modified Rem 700's (designated as M40) as sniper rifles since the mid-sixties. In the remote chance yours turns out to be one of those, they are pretty valuable.
Please excuse my ignorance. What would make a mod 700 turned into a m40 sniper rifle any more valuable to the hunter? I have a couple 700's that will go 1/2' groups and another right at 3/4" and they are all better than I am from field positions. I think the value of guns get's a push that not really warranted unless it is some fancy custom job and then I wonder the value of a fancy custon job. I have a 1903 built by paul Jaeger in 1945 the was appraised in 1992 at $7500! Super rifle but I would not pay that much for one. This one was bought from Jaeger new in 1945 when he got out of the service. $500 out the door! special meaning in this one so no I would not take $7500 for it but I did finally break down and start hunting with it!

Please excuse my ignorance. What would make a mod 700 turned into a m40 sniper rifle any more valuable to the hunter? I have a couple 700's that will go 1/2' groups and another right at 3/4" and they are all better than I am from field positions. I think the value of guns get's a push that not really warranted unless it is some fancy custom job and then I wonder the value of a fancy custon job. I have a 1903 built by paul Jaeger in 1945 the was appraised in 1992 at $7500! Super rifle but I would not pay that much for one. This one was bought from Jaeger new in 1945 when he got out of the service. $500 out the door! special meaning in this one so no I would not take $7500 for it but I did finally break down and start hunting with it!
Don, the increased value is to collectors of military memorabilia, not hunters who use guns as tools to kill stuff. I would be lucky to get $600 for my very nice sporterized Springfield if I wanted to sell it. The same gun in its military configuration and good condition might bring $1,500. But a person might also be nuts if he hunted with it. Beat up it would lose some value ... but probably not much.

Don, the increased value is to collectors of military memorabilia, not hunters who use guns as tools to kill stuff. I would be lucky to get $600 for my very nice sporterized Springfield if I wanted to sell it. The same gun in its military configuration and good condition might bring $1,500. But a person might also be nuts if he hunted with it. Beat up it would lose some value ... but probably not much.
I see your point I'm a guy that would never pay the going price for a pre 64 Mod 70. I simply buy rifle's to shoot, not collect. Probably why I'm poor! :)

I don't think it's the military safety. One of those would never clear the scope. Is it a two position wing safety on the right side with a locking screw through back end? That would likely be a Buhler safety. I would love to find one of those. Dad put an aftermarket sort-of Buhler style wing striker safety on my gun but it never was very safe. I changed it last year to another aftermarket variation from Sarco which required some slight modification. It's better but when the scope is removed and gun slung on my right shoulder, that left-side wing is hanging up on clothing and can be disengaged. I will probably switch to a Timney "deluxe" trigger with trigger block safety. Hate to deviate that much from Dad's original setup but being safe is more important I guess. He would agree.
View attachment 255337

Send me a photo of the bolt and safety.
Went and got mine out and looked again. Lever is on the right side and flips up and down. Straight down is safety off up is on. up the lever points out the back of the action. Wear's a 2 3/4x Redfield Widefield I got new about 1970.

I have and use three such rifles, a sportered K-98 wildcatted to 8mm-06 which used to see duty as my black timber gun during elk season, a Brazilian Mauser sportered in .280 Rem which is now my main weapon, and an inherited P-17 Eddystone sporter which still has the original ordinance barrel and is a tack driver.

The only one i have in original condition is a numbers matching Mauser DSM-34 .22 trainer used by the Hitler Youth. I took it squirrel hunting once but it's valuable enough to require special care and that doesn't include dragging it around squirreling.

I am going to hunt with my granddads 30-40 Krag this deer season. My shots are so close in GA that I could use a bow most of the time.

Back