Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Does anyone have any cheap, warm weather, camo, hunting pants they would recommend? (and matching shirt to look the part even if I cant play it)

BirdManMike

Have enough cold weather gear to get me thru next ice age. Dont have warm weather gear - not dedicated hunting gear, anyway (ie not camo). Decided to archery antelope hunt, camo might be nice.

Looking for quality and price point of 'slightly better than junk'.

For a shirt I can't sing enough praises for Red Head Tech-Lite II. They are camo but look very sharp (button down collar and unique camo patterns), EXTREMELY comfortable, wear like iron, and sleeves long enough for a North American male (I'm just over 6' with unusually long arms and the sleeves of size L are actually a bit long). They are long sleeve but wear nicely in hot weather. I can roll up sleeves and tie them with button straps but haven't needed to do that yet. The write up on Cabelas fails to mention the shirts have an additional vertical zip shut pocket hidden behind left breast cargo pocket. I keep my earplugs in it. That way they get cleaned when the shirt is washed. I have worn one of three shirts almost every day for the last two years and they still look like new. Very tough, very cool (as in no sweat), excellent fit, and look great. What's not to like?

For an even cheaper casual Friday/ ametuer outdoor enthusiast pair of pants, Eddie Bauer sells their pro guide pants. If you have an outlet they sell the same pants with a different name for 40$. Very comfortable and I don’t feel bad when I trash them. Outdoor research sells their Ferosi pants which are similar except even lighter for hotter weather. Both are great.

Hands down my favourite hunting/outdoors pants. They're just as good if not better than my expensive Kuiu or FirstLite pants. I pair that up with a merino T and hoodie from FirstLite.

I'll have to check those out. Wrangler no longer makes their classic jeans in forest green. Those were my favorite. These look like they might work but my legs are a bit thick and those look a bit too peg-leg-ish. I checked out a pair of Wrangler Outdoor Series pants two years ago at North Forty in Havre. Eighty bucks?! I don't think so. I am wearing one of the shirts right now (it was on sale) and don't care for it at all! Supposed to breathe like Red Head but it doesn't. Sweaty in fact. And the sleeves are so tight that no one but an Auschwitz survivor could roll them up. Crap.

Edit: Forgot to add the shoulders are WAY too tight on those Wrangler shirts. I'm hardly Hulk Hogan and most size L shirts fit too loosely through the shoulders. Just a terrible fit all around. Crappy fabric and they look funky ... because of crappy fit.

Last edited:
I bought some Wrangler ATGs this spring and they are great so far, and even tougher to beat at $40. Not sure what the difference is between the ATG and outdoor series. Last pair of Kuiu attacks I had were a bit tight in the crotch and now my wife wears them. Prana pants I have are torn up a bit, but still wear them occasionally. Was looking at Kuhl, but wanted to try something cheaper and the wranglers are good so far.

Army/Navy store....We survived Iraq/Aphuckastan with basic cotton/canvas desert Camo. I had no problem my last trip to WY wearing it.

If the wind is Right, you're tight....

If the wind is wrong, they're GONE !!

Army/Navy store....We survived Iraq/Aphuckastan with basic cotton/canvas desert Camo. I had no problem my last trip to WY wearing it.

If the wind is Right, you're tight....

If the wind is wrong, they're GONE !!
Desert military surplus is what I was going to say. I prefer the older British desert gear because it’s 100% cotton and very lightweight; the downside is it isn’t as durable as rip stop. But that’s what I’ve worn in all my hot-weather Texas hunts.

$20 online

Truspec 24/7 or expeditions pants. Wore them in some of hottest places uncle sam could find, now they are my favorite hunt pants

For an even cheaper casual Friday/ ametuer outdoor enthusiast pair of pants, Eddie Bauer sells their pro guide pants. If you have an outlet they sell the same pants with a different name for 40$. Very comfortable and I don’t feel bad when I trash them. Outdoor research sells their Ferosi pants which are similar except even lighter for hotter weather. Both are great.

They have a heavy-duty version of those now, i just bought a pair, they're great!