Caribou Gear

Doc's 2020 turkeys

pointingdogsrule

Well, between taking the youth hunters out I actually got out turkey hunting here in Iowa. I actually sat in the same blind that Isabell shot her bird. My hunt was 2 weeks earlier. Only thing to tell is that I hunted these birds twice before with a young lady. Day #1 we called and birds went south. Day #2 I set up a blind to the south... we called and birds went north..... and strutted right next to my north blind. Let's just say that there were a lot of bad words as we sat in that blind. Two days later I go to the north blind. Only this time 1 hen decoy and NO, NO, NO, NO, calling. Birds fly down. Tom sees my decoy and walks straight in to the blind. Dead bird. Lesson learned.

20200420_065916.jpg
20200420_072952.jpg
Iowa forth season comes along and I have a tag. I wanted to save the good spot for the kids, so I went to another farm that usually holds birds. Set up the blind and decoys and started calling. Soon hens show up and start beating up on my hen decoy. They wander away, however, I keep calling. I just love pissing hens off. I "cut" and then they "cut". We keep up this game for about 45 minutes. I look down and then look up and there is a nice Jake in my decoy field. I have no idea where he came from. I wasn't being picky. I picked up the gun and looked out of the blind and there he was mounted on my decoy hen and breeding her. My thought "that's a good shot". Bang, dead bird. Photos are how he died.
20200430_183835.jpg
20200430_184127.jpg

Good luck to all
"it's the hunt, not the kill"

Back