Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Do you own a scout rifle? Is it worth getting one?

Westxhunter

Aside from using one for stand hunting, do you own a scout rifle and do you feel it's necessary to get one? I have my 30-06 which i've used for most everything. That being said I've been looking at .308 scout rifles and they look pretty nice. You guys that have 'em, tell me your thoughts now that you own one.

They are nice for a tree stand, blind, or walking around where your need a quick shot. Kind of like the lever 30-30 but with a little more range. I sold mine a few years back when I moved forth TN to ND.

Other than a name to get people to buy it, what is a scout rifle?
It's supposed to be an all around rifle. Weighs less than 6.6 lbs. Shortened barrel. Scope and/or iron sights and something like a guide gun. I feel like the marlin's and Henry's fit the bill. but I don't own those either.

Gave the scout rifle idea some thought, but I didn't much care for it in the end. If I think I need quick shooting, I go for irons on a conventional (if perhaps a bit shorter) hunting rifle.

I like the Savage Hog Hunter for the purposes many seem to associate with "scout rifles". When I did bear over hounds in 2020, I switched from my usual scoped 22" rifles to my 20" iron-sighted Hog Hunter.

Maybe my Rem 660 might have qualified but back then they just called it a rifle! 308 Win, 20" barrel Redfield 2 3/4x widefield scope. Son has it now.

Someone mentioned the scope mounted on the barrel. Saw one like that in Alaska a local gunsmith built. He put a 2x handgun scope out on the barrel. Fastest rifle I ever saw!

I turned my Winchester Model 94 into a Scout Rifle when my eyes got to the point where open sights would not be an ethical choice for me to hunt with it. I absolutely love hunting with it! I've killed 4 large Black Bear boars, a wolf and numerous Whitetail and Blacktail. If I ever rifle hunt Roosevelts again I will probably be packing it.

It's got a 2.5X Leupold Scout Scope which is super quick to get on target with. That's never been an advantage with bears as I always watch them a while and have plenty of time for a shot but with the wolf it sealed the deal when I wouldn't probably have been able to with a normal scope, only had a second to get the shot off. It is easy to pack which is why it's my go to bear rifle.

IMG_4374.jpg
IMG_0213.jpg

I'm guessing that's a handgun scope? Saw one on a bolt action up in Alaska. Fastest getting on target I've ever seen. I think the trick is he eye relief!

My grandfather gave me a TC Hawkin .50 cal percussion gun with a forward mounted pistol scope. Is that a scout rifle?

I’ve been in love with the idea of a scout rifle for a few years. For anyone wanting to know more look up “Jeff Cooper Scout Rifle” and you’ll learn about the concept. Richard Mann, a gun writer, went down the rabbit hole with them with a book, web series, and a few videos. It’s worth looking into.

With that being said, I think they have lost a bit of practical use due to technology and just some of our normal uses for a rifle, but I still want one. Closest I’ll ever get to owning one is a Marlin lever with a forward mounted optic. That’s a future purchase planned.

I guess there is a few affordable options if you look at Savage’s various scout models over the years. As well as a few from Mossberg. There is a particular Ruger American that takes a Skinner Sights rail/sight system that makes a cheap scout option too.

I have a CVA Scout in .35 Rem. Does that count? Not sure what the definition of a scout rifle is?
Got a buddy from midland texas , he has a bus load from guns and lots of CVA scouts in various caliber, all are super accurate, his latest is a 35whelen that is legit Tack driving SOB .67 moa and legal as a primitive weapon in the state his folks live in, I will have a stainless CVA 35whelen by fall , 200gr ttsx @ 3000fps ( no clue why it’s primitive weapon? ) but it’s basically a beast 200-250gr and nilgai beware

I have always been fasinated with them but then as usual reality comes in and kicks me in the head. Out west there isn't really any practical use for them, and then you have a short barreled 308, balisticly it ain't pretty but I would own one before I bought an AR.

My son-in-law-to-be has a .308 Ruger Scout Rifle. He couldn't give it to me. With composite (correction: LAMINATE) stock it is not light. Muzzle jump and blast are awful. Rough action. I hate that dinky scope mounted on the barrel.

I have no trouble acquiring animals quickly and accurately with my heavy WWII 30-06 Springfield with 3x9x40 Nikon.2019-08-24 gemsbuck.jpg2019: Gemsbuck shot twice on the run in thick cover. First in the chest through the heart incoming at fifteen yards. Second shot through the heart as it ran by at twelve yards.
16 November 2019.JPG2019: Muley buck shot on the run at 65 yards. Dropped dead. Hit him where the neck meets the shoulder.
20201129_110147.jpg2020: Fifty yards on the fly through the heart. Exactly where I expected the bullet to hit this coyote.
20210819_160131.jpg2021: Hartbeest shot a second time on the run at about seventy yards. Hit too far back. Fresh bedding shrank after rebarrel a few days earlier. I put the Springfield away after that. This was the only animal taken with my rifle of eleven that trip.
20210822_094314.jpg2021: Buffalo shot with borrowed CZ .375 with older 3x9 Leopold. First shot hit him on the run at 65 yards behind the shoulder almost quartering away. Both lungs shot out. Follow up shot in the chest as it was facing us ready to charge. IMG_1740(1).JPG
Learn to shoot moving targets at a shotgun range and you'll have no trouble taking running big game with a "normal" rifle. One thing you learn shooting trap and skeet is heavy guns swing better than light ones. One thing you learn from spending a lot of time at the range with a lightweight short barreled big game rifle ... how to flinch.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back