Do you Hunt from a ground blind?

I tried them a couple times, really don't care for hunting from them. I always feel like I'm missing something and can't see that well out of them. Anymore even if I'm taking the kids I just make a makeshift blind out of branches and brush.

This is where I stand as well. Don't care for the manufactured "tent" blinds.
Prefer a blind made of natural materials.

I've killed 4 deer from my Doublebull.
It has pros and cons like anything.
Pretty tough to set up a treestand when there aren't any trees.
Sometimes deer are edgy around them, most times not.
I still haven't actually tried shooting through the mesh.

Didn’t like them for years… preferred tree stands with better vision and hearing. Then noticed a distinct difference in getting winded when using them. I’m convinced that they contain scent, especially if you just leave 1 window open.

I have a few times in the past for Blacktails. Moved a few branches to make blinds for turkeys. Sat rockpiles waiting for mule deer in passes.
Could never sit still too long. Never sat a stand.
The idea of a popup blind working here on my place was brought up. Maybe keep the scent down long enough before sunrise in position.
This would be for elk or antelope midmornings. Have not seen a deer here in a few years. Never hunted them on my place.

Last edited:
I do. There is a dilapidated house on my property. Overlooking the pasture. Needs burned down, really. I deer hunt out of that in the everning - sometimes, one of a couple spots Ill set up. Just shoot out of one of the broken windows. Essentially a large ground blind.

Its kindve strange, the deer will sometimes stare right at me thru the window but keep on walking by. Like they dont have the depth perception or understanding to figure out that there is something inside.
I have done the same out of an old horse barn. Stack of pallets and a chair, hunted out of one of the horse windows in one of the stalls. Saw tons of deer doing that.

I hunted from the ground when I was a kid, hunted trees from late teens until this year when I had a couple spots I wanted to try out that were ground only. No tree available outside of saplings.

The one thing I forgot but quickly remembered with ground hunting is how fast it gets dark from the shadows of thickets and grass.

Ground blinds definitely have their place . Was able to set up my dad with a comfortable chair and a buddy heater for his last years of deer and turkey hunting. He was in his upper eighties and never lost the passion for hunting or fishing. I find myself using them more all the time, especially when the weather goes to crap .

In Michigan, you’re part of the minority if you don’t use a deer blind. I have friends that built small cabins that they actually call a “blind”
I prefer to stay mobile and park my butt on the ground, but do use blinds on occasion.

100% of my crossbow hunting is done out of them...never brush them in, just set them up about a month before hunting season. Have been very successful hunting out of the pop-up tents. Gun season, pop-up tents and box blinds...came out of the trees about 10 years ago and haven't missed a beat.

I like them, especially when I'm hunting fields. In the woods, during the rut, they leave a lot to be desired. The wife loves them for turkey hunting, and they're nice for figity kids.

I sat in a portable blind, one time. Didn’t like it one bit. I like to feel like I’m outside when I’m hunting. As an alternative, I’ve set up 2-3 stakes with fabric between them to break up my outline when deer hunting in open terrain.

I sat in a portable blind, one time. Didn’t like it one bit. I like to feel like I’m outside when I’m hunting. As an alternative, I’ve set up 2-3 stakes with fabric between them to break up my outline when deer hunting in open terrain.
I concur. If I just wanted to shoot stuff, I could do that from my kitchen window.

Last edited:
Considering getting a ghillie suit to ground hunt without a blind.

Especially considering it for Wyoming antelope/elk archery. But it would see heavy use in Michigan.

Good luck
It’s really a thought as I have just started to get back into ground hunting and crossbow. I took a fall from a ladder while doing some home repairs and made my dominant elbow bend backwards and broke the elbow cup. Since then my arm will give at random under pressure. Meaning anything but a climber is a no go since I am unable to hang ladder stands and am no longer able to shoot my compound.

Never from an "actual" blind. During bow season I will being burlap with me to set up a makeshift blind to cover the movement of my draw. I'm debating not even doing that next year. Once muzzleloader and rifle comes in, the blind materials go away and I just sit at the base of a tree. I shoot most of my game lands deer within bow range.

Ground blinds are awesome! I have been using some form of popup blind or other ground blind for 12-13 years to allow my kids to go hunt with me. I prefer tree stands or still hunting mostly but I have killed my third largest deer from a ground blind this year.

Attachments

• DA941F85-F376-431E-A7D9-158B543EB846.jpeg
    DA941F85-F376-431E-A7D9-158B543EB846.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 2
Back