Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Do you guys really believe that all ATV riders break the law?

CH, I think your new toy would be too wide (greater then 48-50 inches)to be legal here for the ATV trails. Looks like fun though.

EG, you still haven't proven your point (nor that of your pocket squirrel, not to be named). Just show me where it says I can't load dead critters on my ATV in AZ at all.

Ten,

As much as you whine about buying tags in Idaho, I am pretty sure you can't afford to buy tags in AZ. Therefore, it would be illegal fo you to shoot critters.

Just show me where it says I can't load dead critters on my ATV in AZ at all.
Maybe I'd haul my ATV down there just to haul out critters for cjcj, cfree, or delw......

It's put up or sh... up time.

Just show me where it says I can't load dead critters on my ATV in AZ at all.

I thought I would use my 1000th post to add a little cheer here.

:D :D

Anyway, this thread has a LOOOONG way to go to even get near the Paws thread. So get posting and you ATVers need to quit breaking the law.

Nemont

Ten if i ever get an Elk tag down here, i will call you up and you can come down and help me pickup my legally killed Elk. They are big critters and i like to gut them and bring them out in one big piece! then i hang them in a tree, see i don`t like to "WASTE" all of that good Elk meat like those wastefull backpackers do. I bring out hide/head/bones/liver/ heart, and every ounce of meat.
[ Ten did you notice that Buzz/Gunner didn`t want to bet money]?

CJ, I did notice that. I also see that there are those here whom twist the truth to fit their own needs (desires). I'm still waiting for the proof that I can't put dead critters on my ATV in AZ (or any other state for that matter).

Its the "lawyer" in Gunner, he just can`t help himself. If you told him that fire is hot, he would probably try to prove thats its not. :D

CJ,
From an earlier post by Buzz...

cj,

I'm not going to explain the rules to you for several reasons:

1. You wont/dont understand them.
2. You'd rather not know so you can continue to live in 1960 and continue to break the law.
3. You dont have the comprehension skills
4. You wont admit when you're wrong.
5. You dont even understand what you write.

Get it through your thick skull, in a vast majority of AZ off road travel FOR ANY REASON (oh, and just to clarify, ANY REASON, includes to retieve game) is illegal and is under the authority of the agency that owns the land.

The good thing is though, some NR illegal alien got your elk tag this year, so you wont have the opportunity to break the law while retrieving your road killed spike.
;)

Ten,

Call the FS, BLM, or State if you have a hard time with reading comprehension. They have people who will be more than happy to explain to you how to read a map, what travel restrictions are, where to pick huckleberries, etc.

BUZZ, would you care to join EG in searching for information to prove that it is illegal to put dead critters on my ATV? I think I can show that not all land in AZ is closed to cross country travel, and that nowhere does any agency in AZ say that it is illegal to transport dead critters on my ATV.

Ten,

I'm not arguing that you cant put a dead critter on an ATV, in the back of a truck, or in a backpack.

I'm arguing that a VAST majority of BLM, FS, and State lands in AZ are closed to off road travel by any means for any reason...including game retrieval.

Thats a fact, and thats final.

BUZZ, I am saying that there are areas in AZ where cross country travel is allowed for game retrieval. And that travel is permitted on BLM land. Before you get your jockstrap all bunched up, look at the use limitaions on BLM land specifically the portion that says roads, trail, and washes....

I also refute EG's claim that using ATVs to recover game is illegal (the converse to EGs earlier statement).
Please let us know which situtations it is ALWAYS legal to use an ATV to retrieve game....

Ten,

You can only use ATVs off road to pick up game where it is legal. And each land owner (for private land) or managing Agency (for public Land) makes the rules.

It is that simple.

Each Fat-Assed ATV rider is responsible for actively seeking out the information about travel restrictions/opportunities prior to venturing off-trail, for joy rides, for hauling animals, or for any other illegal activity commonly done on ATVs.

It is that simple.

Are you still confused?

Lookie here.... Yet another National Forest closes down on the Fat-Assed ATV crowd.... I wonder if they previously had problems with the Fat-Assed ATV riders.... :rolleyes:

Hunters should be aware of ATV rule changes
The Daily Press
Last Updated: Monday, September 20th, 2004 09:54:40 AM

Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest officials remind ATV users of recent policy changes that took effect June 15 with the implementation of the revised forest plan.
As we move into the fall season , hunters who use ATVs should note that no off-road or off-trail ATV use is permitted. This means hunters must walk from the road or trail to their hunting area. It also means that ATVs cannot be used off-road/off-trail to transport bait or retrieve game. In the past, the Forest had two different ATV policies. The Chequamegon side was mostly open to ATV use while the Nicolet side was closed. The revised forest plan has one consistent policy for the entire National Forest. This new policy allows ATVs only on designated routes and trails.
ATV use on designated trails is allowed on the Chequamegon side of the forest. Roads that were open to use in the past will remain open until a process is completed to locate and sign all future open roads, which is expected to take one to two years. Once completed, only those roads that have open signs will be available for ATV use.
The Nicolet side of the forest does not have any immediate ATV opportunities. ATVs will be allowed once site-specific trail and route planning and construction are completed. The revised Forest Plan allows for up to 185 miles of additional trails for the entire National Forest.
For further information on ATV opportunities at your hunting destination, contact local Forest Service offices in Eagle River, Florence, Hayward, Glidden, Lakewood, Laona, Medford, Park Falls and Washburn.

Ohhhhh my goodness.... :D It looks like the Fat-Assed ATV riders have been breaking the law in Utah, and now the Forest Service is going to close the entire area.....
:rolleyes:

LINDON - What do you get when you combine booming population growth and the runaway popularity of all-terrain vehicles in a small mountainside community?
A real mess on the hill.
ATV use above this Utah County city has gotten so out of hand that U.S. Forest Service and Lindon officials on Thursday announced that all vehicle access will be shut down in the Dry Canyon area. They hope to eliminate what has grown into 13 miles of ATV trails on the bench above the city.
"This area has been a playground for Utah County for years," said Pam Gardner, Pleasant Grove District ranger for the Uintah National Forest. "When there was less population here, it was manageable. But as the years have gone on the impacts have increased. We're at the point where we have to do something about it."
Technically, the Dry Canyon area is already off-limits to motorized vehicle use, save an access road to a city water storage facility. But four-wheel drive vehicles have always traversed the mountainside. And following the construction of a firebreak road to battle a canyon blaze in the late-1980s, vehicle use increased, then mushroomed in the last decade as ATVs created a spidery network of trails.
The loss of vegetation and soil erosion, Gardner said, also lead to water pollution. "It costs time and money to repair the damage that's done by a few irresponsible users," she said.
ATV trespassers have gone around USFS gates and barriers to access the trails. Gardner says the new plan calls for backhoes to create deep "pocks" in the trails, rendering them difficult, if not impossible to use.
Lindon Mayor Larry Ellertson acknowledges that such aggressive closures will likely anger some of his constituents - he's running for Gary Herbert's soon-to-be-vacated Utah County Commission seat this fall - but he says there is little choice.
"Unfortunately, we've earned the right not to use the land," Ellertson said.
Ellertson is spearheading a movement to streamline anti-ATV ordinances all along the east bench in Utah County. Some cities have already passed ordinances, he said; others are in the process of reviewing the proposed statutes.
"If we don't do this, people will just move to the next area," he said. "We need to get it under control, and sometimes you have to take strong stands to get people's attention."

And what do you know..... It looks like the Fat-Assed ATV crowd has been causing problems in the Superior NF, and as such, they are now banned from off-road travel....

But they do offer some good advice like "recommend that visitors check at Ranger District offices with site-specific questions and stop at any Forest office to see a map of designated trails, low maintenance, and unclassified roads" ;)

PRESS RELEASE – For immediate release
September 10, 2004
218-626-4393

ATTENTION: Hunters and Off-highway Enthusiasts - New Policies for Off-Highway Vehicle Use on the Superior National Forest

The recently revised Forest Plan for the Superior National Forest includes some new policy regarding off-highway vehicle (OHV) use which will go into effect on September 14, 2004. The purpose of the policy is to continue to provide opportunities for OHV riders while protecting the forest's ecological resources and reducing conflicts among forest users.

OHV use will continue to be allowed on designated trails, low maintenance and unclassified roads unless posted closed. ATV summer use will continue to be permitted on the Stony Spur and Big Aspen trail systems. The Forest Plan also provides for an additional 90 miles of OHV trail to be designated over the next 10 to 15 years.

Under the new policy all cross country OHV travel will be prohibited and OHV travel will not be allowed in ditches and shoulders of National Forest roads.

"We recommend that visitors check at Ranger District offices with site-specific questions and stop at any Forest office to see a map of designated trails, low maintenance, and unclassified roads" advises Paul Momper, Deputy Forest Supervisor.

Maps and additional information regarding OHV policies on the Superior National Forest are also posted on the web site: www.fs.fed.us/r9/superior.

This policy involves Forest Service lands, trails, and roads within the Superior National Forest boundary. OHV riders are strongly encouraged to contact other landowners regarding their policy and procedures.

And it appears the National Forests in Kentucky are getting tired of Fat-Assed ATV riders....

Forest service steps up ATV enforcement

By JOHN MONGLE, Staff Writer September 01, 2004

The Clinch Ranger District will be joining Kentucky officials to step up enforcement of all-terrain-vehicle (ATV) rules in Southwest Virginia and Eastern Kentucky. Currently there are no legal ATV trails on the national forest in the Clinch District though there is a great deal of illegal use, according to Doug Jones, district ranger. Jones met with Kentucky wildlife officials and a representative of the Pine Mountain Trail Conference last week to discuss what they consider a mutual problem.
Of particular concern is Pine Mountain, where national forest property adjoins Kentucky's Bad Branch Nature Preserve.

"It pretty much looks like an interstate trail system for ATVs up there," says Kyle Napier, southeast preserves manager for Kentucky State Nature Preserves Commission. "People need to become aware of the fact that they are illegally riding on these properties and law enforcement is the best method."

"We're starting to make a unified effort to get a handle on this," says Jones, who is working on mutual assistance agreements with the law enforcement division of Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Resources.

Shad Baker, a Kentucky extension agent working to develop the Pine Mountain Trail, believes this will be an improvement.

"In the past there have not been any enforcement so chances of getting caught were nil," he says.

Illegal use of foot paths and carving of new trails through the forest by ATVs are having a detrimental effect on soil and stream quality.

Jones says that motorized vehicle use of trails requires construction that will withstand the heavier use. Most foot trails lack adequate bridges and culverts to sustain the heavier usage without environmental damage.

Foot trails also tend to be built closer to streams than those designed for off-road vehicles.

In an effort to meet demand in the Clinch District, the Sawmill ATV Trail in Scott County - a part of the revised forest management plan - is expected to be approved by Thanksgiving. That will relieve some of the pressure, but ATV users say that it is not enough to meet the recreational demand.

"The Scott County trail is not going to help us," says Farley Mullins of the Mountain View ATV Club, based in Clintwood. "We've met with them several times trying to get a trail in Dickenson County."

Mullins and his group wanted access to the Pine Mountain Trail, but have not been successful despite his contention that "95 percent of people are for that in this county."

In an effort to ride legal trails, Mountain View has leased some 4,000 acres of coal company land in Wise and Dickenson counties for recreational use.

Mullins says membership in his group has grown from about 150 to over 700 since the lease was acquired illustrating the interest in ATVs and the need for legal trails.

The club charges a $10 membership fee and $25 for a use permit that allows members to ride ATVs, hunt, hike, bike and generally enjoy the outdoors on the leased land that stretches from Virginia City to West Dante.

Jones applauds the club's initiative as a "positive and proactive effort," but Mullins says such private efforts would not be needed if the forest service met the public demand for ATV trails. "They're just slow," Mullins says.

While progress is being made to provide legal trails, Mullins probably won't see legal ATV usage on the Pine Mountain Trail anytime soon.

Baker says ATV use on the mountain is responsible for "wholesale resource destruction." He says the ridge line is not broad enough to sustain an environmentally stable ATV trail.

And, there is a conflict in uses.

"It takes away from the recreational experience of people who want foot travel up there when an ATV goes by," says Jones.

The problem with ATV use on public land is not unique to the Clinch Ranger District. In July, the forest service issued a draft policy to deal with the problem and accommodate the recreational vehicles nationwide.

Part of the problem stems from the increasing popularity of ATVs for recreation and the slowness of the forest service in adopting plans for their use.

Nationally, ATV use has skyrocketed with 5 million in use in 1972 to 36 million in 2000, according to the forest service.

Baker has agreed to use the resources of his group to help develop signage for the national forest marking trails closed to ATV use - especially those that serve as spurs and access routes to the Pine Mountain Trail. Many of the trails used by ATVs have no signs or gates barring such vehicles.

"People may not know it is illegal," says Jones. "We want to educate the public as much as possible."

Both forest service and Kentucky officials looking at the problems say most of the use comes from local residents.

"There aren't a lot of people from outside the area coming in," Napier says. "For the most part you'll see a trail coming up from behind someone's house

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back