Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Do-it-all freezer filling rifle

30-06 Savage Axis with a 6x Leupold, That is way under 1000 dollars for everything and you still have plenty of money left to buy lots of ammo to take it out and see what it does and get used to it and how it shoots. The axis is ugly and not the prettiest to look at but it shoots true. It will eat about any type of ammo you put in in it but will shoot a green and yellow box Remington Core-Lokt right at or under an inch. Theres a reason they call it the deadliest mushroom in the woods (or prairie or timber or creek bottoms or fields)
308, 7mm08
270... being my all time favorite caliber I would have to give the nod to it. but only because I'm bias.
You will soon find out though its hard to just have one rifle.

I see many suggestions for a .30-06. I started hunting when I moved to Steamboat Springs, CO about 55 years ago. The only rifle that I had ever shot then was a single shot Remington .22 LR. So I worked with a couple of guy that had grown up hunting in that area and I asked them what rifle I should get. They both recommended a bolt action .270 Win or .30-06. Back then we didn't have any where near the selection of rifles and cartridges that we do now. I chose a .30-06, and for the next 10 or so years I had no problem putting a deer and an elk in my freezer every year.

Today we have many great choices from many rifle manufactures and more cartridge choices than we can count, many of which just overlap many of our old standbys. I've always a blued rifle in a walnut stock, but I'm seeing the befits of stainless steel in plastic/fiberglass stocks. I think 4 of the last rifles and 3 of the last pistols that I've bought are stainless steel.

After wanting one for many years, about 10 years ago I finally bought my first Weatherby rifle, a Vanguard chambered in .300 Wby. I liked it so much that I recently bought two SS Vanguards chambered in .223 and .308 Win. I have Leupold scopes on these and they all shoot moa out to the 430 yard berm at our range.

For the OP's first North American big game rifle, I would recommend a SS Weatherby Vanguard chambered in .30-06 and wearing a Leupold 3-9x40 scope. I have higher grade Leupold scopes on many of my rifles, but with the Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40 scope that I have on my .223 Vanguard, with just a twist of the turret I have no trouble hitting the 100 to 430 yard gongs at our range.

I’m boring. Got a cheap 700 ADL in 30-06 years ago. Couple years ago I got fancy and dropped it in a better stock with a Timney trigger and never looked back.

Well I've come to realize I'm a decent hunter, awkward/clumsy at stalks, and a pretty darn good shot with a bow. That has added up to one antelope over two seasons of hunting (two antelope tags, and two muley tags). In my defense, the first muley tag I got (last year) was in a pretty terrible leftover unit with historically poor success rates. While I'm piling on excuses, I had a rancher cancel on me with two days of paid access left for my antelope tag (public land for the CO OTC tags is really hard to find) and I'm pretty sure I would have punched that tag if I had a bit more time.

While I still want to go chasing after game with my bow (heck, I've even been bit by the trad bug, which further reduces my chances of bringing home meat), I want to pick up rifle hunting to hopefully snag a doe antelope, doe deer, or cow elk tag next year. I need an insurance policy to prevent looking at a sad, empty freezer like I am now.

As a brand new gun hunter looking for my first big game rifle, I have a few questions (some of these I'm afraid will open a can of worms):
1. Given that I want to chase after everything from doe antelope up to cow elk, what cartridge would you recommend? I don't plan on reloading, so I need something that has great factory ammo availability. If possible, I'd like things on the lower side of recoil. My hope is that my boy (that shows up in February) will be able to use this rifle when it's his turn.
2. I have a few buddies that gun hunt and swear by various brands religiously. It's almost as bad as the Hoyt vs. Bowtech vs. Matthews vs. PSE arguments I see at the bow shop. Are there any rifle brands/models that I should be looking at? I would like to spend less on the rifle than I would on a brand new flagship bow (not including the scope). Accuracy isn't a huge concern, since I've convinced myself that I can sneak into 200 yards no problem on most game. That last 160 though is a killer (ask me how I know).
1. 30-06
2. Remington 700 (used BDL is best value for class and quality, IMO); Weatherby (Vanguard would be quality value); Howa (respect to the site’s sponsor, and they are synonymous with Vanguards)

Personally I would go with the tried and true, if you prefer long action cartridges either the 270 Win or the 30/06, hands down can't be beat, (there are literally 100's of choices in factory loads offered for each), plus thousands of hunters across the U.S. & Canada rely on both to put meat in the freezer. Or if you prefer a short action cartridge, I would recommend the 308 Win, for the same reasons. There are a lot of great rifle manufacturers out there to choose from , so do the research and decide what's best for you. Recently an acquaintance of mine bought a CVA Cascade in 308, and for the price he paid, it is a surprisingly decent rifle and accurate. Good Luck.

I answered the poll in the other thread then I read your situation. While a belted magnum will do everything you want with no shortcomings, I'd hesitate to recommend it as a first rifle.

As far as factory ammo availability, and diversity of bullet size and design, the 30-06 has the greatest selection undoubtedly. It has killed more large ungulates (Moose/elk) in the last half of the 20th and the 21st century than any other cartridge on your list.

I set the recoil limit at the same level as a 12 gauge shotgun shooting target loads. I can shoot 100 a day, and maybe be a little bruised. Gun weight recoil Ft.lbs.

12 gauge, 2.75" (1 1/8 at 1200)7.523.0

.30-06 (180 gr. at 2700)8.020.3

So there you have it....

25-06 My wife had one in a Remington MTN rifle and it was fantastic. I like the Ruger Model 77 MKII and Hawkey also. It killed 2 elk, some antelope, and deer.

7mm-08

280 Remington - Find a good used Remington 700 MTN rifle. I do not know for a fact but understand from other's that the quality of the newer Remingtons is not that great. A used Ruger MKII or Hawkeye would be great also.

280 AI - Great cartridge. I had mine built on a Winchester Model 70 action. Kimber chambers the 280 AI in a quality rifle.

30-06 - One of the best out there. It will be easy to find a good used Remington 700, Ruger Model 77, Winchester Model 70 that will work perfectly for you.

6x42mm Leupold would be hard to beat for a scope.

3.5-10x40mm or 4.5-14x40mm Leupold scope.

First thing that came to mind when I read the original post was my .270 Tikka T3 Lite SS. I shoot 150 Partitions. Low recoil, ammo for .270s is cheap and available, and it’s perfectly capable of taking everything he mentioned. If you don’t handload, I’d look for 150 grain Federal Fusion ammo. It’s not expensive, but tends to perform very well. Add a decent scope and you’ll be good to go.

My son was gonna take his 12Ga SxS and use slugs for elk, should have let him! But I let him take my 25-06 with 117gr Hornady Interlocks. I would not recommend it foe elk but the son is a very good shot and the 25-06 is up to the job.

Cartridge I'd recommed you is the 6.5 Creedmoor. I've never used it but am on my third 6.5x55. With a 140gr bullet it is more than up to the job and probably less recoil than even the 7mm-08. Never shoot a 7mm-08 either but have hunted with the 7x57 a good deal. I think myself that the 30-06 might work but I would never suggest a 30 cal rifle to anyone looking for a first rifle with low recoil. I do shoot a 30-06 and the recoil doesn't bother me a bit but then been shooting rifles over 65yrs now up to 338 mag and finally recoil s starting to get to me. I suspect handling recoil is to some extent a matter of mind over matter although there is no doubt different cartridges recoil differently than other's. Worst recoiling rifle I ever shot was a 30-06 and them a 30-30 and third a 338 win mag, go figure.

The 6.5 CM probably come's in factory loads with 140gr bullet's. I'm not sure of that, I reload! I think from all I've read the 7mm-08 could also work hut for what you want in a rifle I'd go with 150gr bullet's min and for myself would prefer 160gr bullet's. That's a though full of prejudice from my old 7mm rem mag. Keep in mind that recoil may feel different depending on who's doing the shooting. Knew a guy one time that felt the 375 H&H was a mild recoiling round. I would not attempt to shoot one! My first 338 win mag with the first three rounds through it left my shoulder black and blue for a week! I learned to shoot a whole box at a time with no problem.

Well I've come to realize I'm a decent hunter, awkward/clumsy at stalks, and a pretty darn good shot with a bow. That has added up to one antelope over two seasons of hunting (two antelope tags, and two muley tags). In my defense, the first muley tag I got (last year) was in a pretty terrible leftover unit with historically poor success rates. While I'm piling on excuses, I had a rancher cancel on me with two days of paid access left for my antelope tag (public land for the CO OTC tags is really hard to find) and I'm pretty sure I would have punched that tag if I had a bit more time.

While I still want to go chasing after game with my bow (heck, I've even been bit by the trad bug, which further reduces my chances of bringing home meat), I want to pick up rifle hunting to hopefully snag a doe antelope, doe deer, or cow elk tag next year. I need an insurance policy to prevent looking at a sad, empty freezer like I am now.

As a brand new gun hunter looking for my first big game rifle, I have a few questions (some of these I'm afraid will open a can of worms):
1. Given that I want to chase after everything from doe antelope up to cow elk, what cartridge would you recommend? I don't plan on reloading, so I need something that has great factory ammo availability. If possible, I'd like things on the lower side of recoil. My hope is that my boy (that shows up in February) will be able to use this rifle when it's his turn.
2. I have a few buddies that gun hunt and swear by various brands religiously. It's almost as bad as the Hoyt vs. Bowtech vs. Matthews vs. PSE arguments I see at the bow shop. Are there any rifle brands/models that I should be looking at? I would like to spend less on the rifle than I would on a brand new flagship bow (not including the scope). Accuracy isn't a huge concern, since I've convinced myself that I can sneak into 200 yards no problem on most game. That last 160 though is a killer (ask me how I know).
At the risk of opening a can of worms. I have long been a fan of the 270 Winchester. I like Tikka, Savage, Browning. The 270 has killed every game animal in North America and has a softer recoil man bigger calibers. The 130 grain bullet is flat shooting and has good knock down power. And I have been able to consistently find factory ammo in stores. Just my opinion but you asked.

Many of these posts mention the Tikka, when I was checking them out at the local store it seemed to me that the actions were tight, took effort to cycle the action, more so than other brands. Does that just wear down eventually or is it something to do with the smaller angle?

I am really on the side of a .308

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back