Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Do I really need a Spotting Scope?

tx_basser

This is going to be my 2nd trip for Elk in CO this year, so trying to me as methodical as I can to aid in success. Trying to make use of whatever gear I have, and not draw unwanted attention from the wife on the Amazon deliveries showing up.

I have a pair of Nike 10x50 binocs that I use allot when wildlife watching, and thinking of using them on a Tripod. Wondering if I rally need buy a spotting scope, or will a binocs like I referring to work for glassing, etc.

Thanks,
Roger

You don't need one and depending on the terrain they might serve very little purpose. I personally really enjoy using mine but if I had to pick between binos or spotter the binos hands down

This is going to be my 2nd trip for Elk in CO this year, so trying to me as methodical as I can to aid in success. Trying to make use of whatever gear I have, and not draw unwanted attention from the wife on the Amazon deliveries showing up.

I have a pair of Nike 10x50 binocs that I use allot when wildlife watching, and thinking of using them on a Tripod. Wondering if I rally need buy a spotting scope, or will a binocs like I referring to work for glassing, etc.

Thanks,
Roger

I am new to western style hunting so take my input with a grain of salt, but when I asked a similar question the general response I got back was, "if you are just trying to find animals to shoot and not worried about trophy status binoculars are sufficient, but if you want to be able to judge the animals head-gear for trophy purposes you will save yourself a lot of wasted walking by confirming trophy status with a spotting scope before pursuing."

Spotting scopes are an added burden when you are elk hunting, imo. I think it is way more important to get away from the roads and trailheads than to be able to see for miles.
I also think the answer to this question depends on your style of hunting. If you would rather hike to a peak and sit for hours, then a spotting scope is probably going to be more beneficial than if you do it the way I like to, which is hiking from drainage to drainage looking for sign and indications that elk have been in the drainage recently. There is a lot that occurs below the canopy that you can't see when you're glassing from a peak.

Elk hunting I generally do not take my spotting scope. It may ride in the truck with me, but I do not carry it with me when i'm packing. I do from time to time when I am deer hunting, deer are generally easier to pick out during the day in certain terrain than an elk is. Bino's will be sufficient for what you will be doing.
Matt

Spotting scopes are really pretty useless in my opinion, trophy hunters need them but the average hunter isn't going to take a shot farther than a couple hundred yards away so a standard set of binoculars will work. In my area of Montana I am restricted to bull elk with a 4" brow tine so I use my optics to estimate tine length and my Leupold 10x42 Cascade binoculars work well for me.

Spotting scopes are really pretty useless in my opinion, trophy hunters need them but the average hunter isn't going to take a shot farther than a couple hundred yards away so a standard set of binoculars will work.

I've never been a fan of that sort of generalization. There are plenty of examples of us average hunters not being able to tell whether an animal is legal from a distance further than we would shoot. I use mine to tell whether an animal is legal before I make the trek to get in range, and I know many other hunters who do the same.

Whether a spotting scope is useful to you depends almost entirely on the terrain you're hunting and how far you're willing to hike to get an animal. Hunting deer in the Arizona desert, I need my spotter to tell whether a group of deer has a legal buck in there. Hunting elk in the thick oak brush, it can be difficult to tell whether a small bull is legal in Colorado. My best friend passed on a shot last year because he just couldn't tell with all the oak brush behind the antlers.

If you're on the fence about it, there are a few compact spotters out there that are relatively lightweight and are fantastic IMO. I guess it just depends on your budget.

10x50 are the biggest binocs I have. I have a smaller compact pair I carry when deer/pig hunting that fits in my hunting vest pocket. I'm not against getting a spotter, but really like binocs better as I can use them in the truck also.

We don't need lots of things but every serious hunter should have one IMO.

For me a spotting scope goes with me always. It has proven itself enough times that I sling it on my back. Is it needed, probably not. But that depends on your binos as well. If you are coming out every year and serious about western hunting, it will be well worth the investment. Also get a phoneskope for it. They are overpriced plastic, but nice to stare at a screen waiting for an animal to move. Plus when you take a pic, you can zoom in on the pic for more detail if necessary.

10x50 are the biggest binocs I have. I have a smaller compact pair I carry when deer/pig hunting that fits in my hunting vest pocket. I'm not against getting a spotter, but really like binocs better as I can use them in the truck also.

I think you missed the gist of my post. 10x50s will be difficult to use on an elk hunt. They're best use is on a tripod. If you're hiking and glassing, they'll be unstable when compared to 8x or 10x42s.

As for a spotting scope, I normally don't carry one but will use one to glass distant ridges from a road.

Yes.. I already have a tripod as wife does allot of photography stuff... so was going to get the Binoc adapter for it.

Do you want to be able to determine what sort of elk you are looking at in that parks 2 miles away before you hike up there?

it really depends on where you plan to hunt. Will you be able to glass for miles, or does terrain/veg limit distances?

With a good pair of binos you can usually tell a bull from a cow at a couple miles if that's all you're looking for... not really needed I guess.

I like to set up a spotter and scan the terrain and pick it apart. You can find a lot of animals that you would have never seen with binos especially once you start looking at a mile distance +.

Really just depends on the situation for me. My main elk spot in MT doesn't require a spotter for the day hunt, but I have one in the truck to glass from the roads.

Even a small inexpensive spotter is better than none, IMO.

Depends on terrain as well as what season. Later in the year when they're a little difficult to locate then bring it with. 10x42's are pretty much the standard glass. I don't want to be bringing a tripod with to use binoculars. Typically when I use mine it's a quick check. I don't want to have to set all that up and carry it with. I have one or 2 areas where a spotter might be of use. Other than that itd be difficult to use.

If you're able to scout before the season, and have a base camp I'd bring it. If you have to haul camp on your back...leave it at home. IMO it's a scouting tool and not something I'm carrying on a hunt.

Spotting scopes are really pretty useless in my opinion, trophy hunters need them but the average hunter isn't going to take a shot farther than a couple hundred yards away so a standard set of binoculars will work. In my area of Montana I am restricted to bull elk with a 4" brow tine so I use my optics to estimate tine length and my Leupold 10x42 Cascade binoculars work well for me.

what a close minded and ignorant response!

Some hunts a spotter is crucial piece of equipment to have and save a ton on your legs! One example was our NV hunt last year where that hunt was made by having a spotter looking miles to glass up deer and then moving closer to get a better look when our binos you couldn't even locate them after finding them in the spotter and looking with binos looked like nothing.

Are you elk hunting rifle or bow? I rarely have a spotter with me on archery hunts lots of walking and listening.

I'm going to be doing 3rd OTC Rifle season in CO. I think y'all have made up my mind.. i'm going to order a spotter and if i need it.. i can pull it out of truck and hike in with it, etc.

Exactly this: "the way I like to, which is hiking from drainage to drainage looking for sign and indications that elk have been in the drainage recently. There is a lot that occurs below the canopy that you can't see when you're glassing from a peak."

I carried one in on a solo 1-week trip last year. Used it for 3 hours on a windy (COLD) ridge. Spent the rest of the trip under canopy and had many more elk encounters. (moose/deer too). Might be great in a rolling hills area with more grass than timber. Up in the steep forested Idaho Mts, I'm not carrying that weight again!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back