Do I have the right idea?

IlliniFIre

So I've been researching DIY elk hunts. I would love to do a archery hunt, but I have some questions or issues. I think my equipment will do the trick, PSE Stinger and Bass Pro arrows with Muzzy fixed tips. I think that I have an idea with an Idaho hunt. I was looking at the OTC tag in unit 35 West of Elk City. I thought I was on it, until I saw that there are areas on the RMEF website that show much of that unit as not elk territory. I thought I had the spot after seeing that there are forest service roads that were closed, but the RMEF maps showed elk were not in the spot I had spied. So am I putting too much into RMEF and their locators or should I just give it a run? I had picked that spot due to high public land percent and relatively high success rates reported. I really want to make the trip west for elk, but i'm thinking I may be crazy since I have no experience or friends with experience. If the protocol here is to give more details let me know and I'll let you know how far I've thought this out.

Well,
1. How heavy is your archery setup? Elk are significantly larger, and heavier gear means better penetration.
2. If the area is having high success, I would tend to think there are elk there. Is the success on private, bunched up when the season starts?
3. I don't use the RMEF elk range tool. It's far too generalized to be of any use. I just checked where I am into elk an the map isn't highlighted there.
3. Are you crazy to want to hunt elk? Nah, but you have to start somewhere. If you are truly doing it by yourself, with no one local to help guide you at all, maybe check out Elk101.com. Its expensive, but it'll have a lot of info you can use.

Your archery set-up is fine. Unit 35 is a ways south from elk city, maybe you were thinking west of elk city in unit 15? Either way there are elk through out either unit. Curious as what that RMEF elk finder is because both units are entirely elk country. Good luck

Thanks, you are correct that it's unit 15. Must have fat fingered that one. The elk finder on RMEF was in the map section, not really sure how I managed onto it. As far as my bow, I'm pulling 55# right now and can go up to 60#. I shoot 125 grain Muzzy broadheads. That's heavy enough at 29.5 in draw?

As far as my bow, I'm pulling 55# right now and can go up to 60#. I shoot 125 grain Muzzy broadheads. That's heavy enough at 29.5 in draw?

Absolutely. If 55 is comfortable no need to go to 60. Better to draw with less movement, hold a while at draw and be accurate than have those 10 extra fps.

I hunted out of Elk City some years ago, beautiful area. There is only one road that goes into Elk City. It was one of my earliest experiences with a diy hunt. I hunted alone and loved it. Ran into a couple of other hunters but not many. I saw a really big bull moose and later that day ran into 2 moose hunters and gave them the location where I saw the bull. Towards the end of my hunt I heard a faint bugle and headed straight for it, got as close as I could and let out a cow call. The bull was getting closer so I hunkered down and just waited. All of a sudden the woods lit up with hoof beats (must have winded me), it sounded like a herd of horses running through the woods. It was one of my best hunts. Thanks for reminding me.....

Absolutely. If 55 is comfortable no need to go to 60. Better to draw with less movement, hold a while at draw and be accurate than have those 10 extra fps.

Yeah, 55 is more than comfortable. Bought the bow used and have never changed it. I've been considering going up to 60 just because it won't be an issue.

This link will give you better info than the RMEF site.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/...eason=general&game=elk&yr=2015&method=archery

2015 had an archery success rate 22% in unit 15. That's pretty good.

Yeah I was on that site. That is how I picked that unit. I just got concerned when there were fingers of the unit that were not shaded in that RMEF map. I mean I know that elk could care less about lines on a map, but it still had me concerned. Since I was likely going to be trying to "sell" this hunt on a friend to help split cost.

Back