Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

DIY Rifle Elk Hunt IDaho 2010

remauto1187

I've decided that me and the brother in law are going to Idaho this year for a Elk hunt. Now that we have decided on the state, anyone have any suggestions as to areas of Idaho.

Whats the difference between a Elk A or B tag?

What is a controlled hunt area? Is there a non-controlled hunt area? Whats the difference.

Am i reading the permit application correctly? You have to purchase a hunting license to be eligible to apply for a elk tag? What happens if you do not get a tag? Do they refund the hunting license fee which is $155 !

After reading the resources page on Idaho I feel like I should consult a lawyer! lol

Last edited:
The regs and process should have been your #1 factor in deciding what state to hunt,not an afterthought,imo. thats why most guys unfamiliar with the different processes of the western states just go to Colorado.

If you want to apply in the controlled hunts, yes you need a license, no they dont refund the price, their will be an additional 6$ for the app fee per species.

The difference in a controlled hunt and an OTC unit is normally night and day in #'s and quality of elk.

I cant remember all the differences in A and B tags, I'm going off memory, but the description is self explanatory in the regs. It boils down to antlerless (A tags) and branch antler bulls, normally B tags, note the season differences as well.

If you dont draw the tag, Your SOL..unless you hunt the OTC units, there are a few, some spike only.

If you prefer to bow hunt, you can take your pick of all but a few OTC and controlled units...still want to hunt Idaho?

Applying/buying licenses online will also cost you more. IIRC, the last time I bought an elk tag online in ID the "convenience fee" was $52. I've only hunted along the ID/MT border. We've been able to get elk, nothing huge but we have have filled tags no doubt.

I am just not finding the fact that hunting license has to be bought and paid for without even knowing for sure we are getting a tag very sexy at all !

In fact i think thats an idiotic move on Idahos part. Here in Illinois you do not have to buy a hunting license until you are ready to go hunting. You can apply and receive deer and turkey tags without even having a hunting license.

No sense in throwing money out the window and buying a hunting license and then not even get a tag. Sounds like Colorado would do better with my $$$.

Back to looking at Colorado's rules and regs.

I am just not finding the fact that hunting license has to be bought and paid for without even knowing for sure we are getting a tag very sexy at all !

In fact i think thats an idiotic move on Idahos part. Here in Illinois you do not have to buy a hunting license until you are ready to go hunting. You can apply and receive deer and turkey tags without even having a hunting license.

No sense in throwing money out the window and buying a hunting license and then not even get a tag. Sounds like Colorado would do better with my $$$.

Back to looking at Colorado's rules and regs.

Just sell a couple 100,000 shares of your penny stocks, and you will be able to raise the $160......

I am surprised someone with all your wealth would object....

How do you think I still have $$$....by not blowing it.

You are like a virus....just won't go away.

Call the fish and game, I do not believe that you need to purchase a license when appling for a controlled hunt. This way you get first hand info.

There are many non controlled rifle hunts here in ID, tags on a first come basis.

Good luck.

Alright, heres my best attempt at a break down for you.

Yes, you have to buy a license to apply for a controlled hunt. No, the money will not be refunded.

With your license though you can buy an over the counter elk tag. This tag will be for a specific zone which may be one unit or a couple different units in size. Most zones offer "A" tags and "B" tags. A tags generally provide better opurtunity for archery and muzzleloader hunters and "B" tags typically provide better oppurtunity for rifle hunters. There are a few good over the counter units in Idaho still, espcially if you are willing to actually hunt.

Controlled hunt tags must be drawn, they can not just be bought over the counter. The application period for controlled hunts the past few years has been between May 1 and June 5. Controlled hunts are simply hunts with fewer numbers of tags; they typically will offer higher success rates, lower hunter density, and more quality animals.

Non resident tags are capped and typically do sell out before seasons have started. Last year was an exception and non resident tags did not sell out. All indications I have seen say that non resident tags sales have been slow so far this year.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back