DIY Maine moose

mtlion

Doable? Realistic chance of success if limited to cross country google earth scouting? Anyone have any experiences? Stories of success or (gulp) failure?

My sister lived in NH for almost three years and never saw one. She lived down by the beach though. I would apply in the northern units. I saw a couple during a hiking/fishing trip up there about 10 years ago. In my limited experience up there, it would be an extremely tough hunt without a lot of scouting prior to the season.

Dunc I know of a guy who drew a northern unit his first year (2011) and hired an outfitter that was extremely reasonably priced. Just wondering what the chances were of pulling it off DIY. Anyway for the money I'm putting in...

You're going to want to go north of Skowhegan. I'm not familiar with the Moose units, but grew up in Maine and saw everyone be successful that drew. It's not that hard to find'em honestly. Like I said, north of Skowhegan is where you're going to want to shoot for. Tons of land of varying terrain, a lot of which is accessible despite the fact that it's owned by the paper companies. Don't expect them to be in any particular kind of terrain though. Hiking at Sugarloaf (the ski resort) during the summer, I met someone near the bottom who had seen a bull near the top....yeah wierd. Good luck!!

All the ones I saw were around the Penobscot River in the middle of the state or north while driving through the North Woods on our way to Canada.

Thanks for the info! I'm definitely putting in for both my wife and I. I may just purchase a point this year and do some intense research but Maine is on my list now!

Odds are like 1/700 so you might as well try and draw.Success is very high if you can draw a tag.Best northern units run 80%+.Guided hunts in Maine are pretty cheap if you draw anyway

Very Very doable but VERY VERY hard to get a tag chances are about the same as drawing a breaks ram tag! LOL But someone has to draw I have a bud who has drawn 3 times in 20ish years. Four other friends who have tried for 20 years and never seen a tag yet.

I have been applying for 12 years. Odds were bad enough at 1:70 when I started. But then Maine decided to screw guys like me in favor of offering new applicants all freakin points they want to buy so the odds went down the chute. If I'd known they were going to offer 10 packs of points no way I'd have started applying.

I just read a book on DIY hunts. The book suggested moose hunting is probably a hunt that you should at least think about an outfitter because of their large size and logistical issues with field dressing and removing them for the field. The book went onto say the only way you should consider a DIY moose hunt is if you are in excellent shape, young, or dumb.

I just read a book on DIY hunts. The book suggested moose hunting is probably a hunt that you should at least think about an outfitter because of their large size and logistical issues with field dressing and removing them for the field. The book went onto say the only way you should consider a DIY moose hunt is if you are in excellent shape, young, or dumb.

Well I'm pretty dumb and in decent shape...I guess I'm young enough too but probably just barely.

BTW why the heck is a DIY book telling you to get an outfitter? Believe it or not I've been on a DIY moose hunt in MT. We managed just fine. ;)

Last edited:
DIY Maine Moose

Mtlion....A DIY moose hunt in Maine would be easy once you beat the odds to get the tag...I was born/raised in Maine...live in Hamilton, MT now. I have put in for the Moose permit since it started in 1979 and have not been drawn yet. Last year was my last year of applying..tired of supporting the Maine Inland Fisheries and Game, unlike Montana, they do not refund any permit application fees. Good luck.

Mtlion....A DIY moose hunt in Maine would be easy once you beat the odds to get the tag...I was born/raised in Maine...live in Hamilton, MT now. I have put in for the Moose permit since it started in 1979 and have not been drawn yet. Last year was my last year of applying..tired of supporting the Maine Inland Fisheries and Game, unlike Montana, they do not refund any permit application fees. Good luck.

Sounds like luck is needed...But I may as well put in, someone is gonna get to go. I can dream :hump:

Reactions: SL7
Thats what I say every year.you can up your odds a little by applying for Vt. and NH moose tags as well.They both have slightly better draw odds but are still long shots at best.Vt. has been going downhill for moose success but they have now lowered tag numbers to help them rebound a little

Just noticed it was mentioned on another site that Maine was correcting the 10 pack ripoff at least some this year by weighing the points more heavily the more you had. I think after 16 years it said they multiply your points by 10. That will help fix an injustice.

Like most everyone has already said here....drawin a tag is the hardest.A lotta moose in this state.And some awfully big bulls.Lots an lots of very knowledge outfitters.If you wanna DIY.....and I'm not workin away somewhere.....I'd be more than willin to help you any way possible.I live near Millinocket.....about 350 miles north of Boston.Some very nice bulls right here.....but the really good moose zones are north and west of Baxter State Park.Let me know if you draw....I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Like most everyone has already said here....drawin a tag is the hardest.A lotta moose in this state.And some awfully big bulls.Lots an lots of very knowledge outfitters.If you wanna DIY.....and I'm not workin away somewhere.....I'd be more than willin to help you any way possible.I live near Millinocket.....about 350 miles north of Boston.Some very nice bulls right here.....but the really good moose zones are north and west of Baxter State Park.Let me know if you draw....I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Will do. I'm putting my wife and I in but not holding my breath on drawing. I'm eyeing a couple northern units do you know if the early or late hunt dates matter? Which is a better chance of hitting the rut?

This is one hunt I put extremely little thought into because it's one I'm not likely to draw in my lifetime even with my max points. As to worrying about units? No way. You rank them and forget about it. A NR would have to defy all odds to even get a last choice.

Well...I know of a guy in MT who drew a northern unit his first time...No idea how many chances he bought. I always try to have a good attitude about draws and at least contemplate what may happen if I do draw. I would hate to find that I drew a sub-par unit because I didn't do my homework. If you would like to share your unit rankings in a PM...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back