DIY- Idaho Muley hunt

zicpick

I've got a NR general tag for Deer in Idaho for 2018, and am looking for suggestions on areas that have good deer numbers but not overrun w/ other guys. I'm looking @ area 28 in the Frank, thinking that the ruggedness will weed out some of the crowd. I'm planning on doing the whole backcountry hunt, hiking in several miles away from roads with camp on my back . Can anybody put their 2 cents worth in on this area or other areas that may be promising? Thanks

Not sure exactly where you're from, but that's real tough country. Everyone I've met who've never been there, myself included, underestimate how rugged it is.

I live in Arkansas currently. I have no doubt that the frank will make us secondguess our decision to hunt there haha. Unfortunately, i'm not able to scout there before season, other than Google Earth & OnX maps. I am Looking at other areas that will be plan b,c & d if the Frank doesn't work. Any suggestions? I'll be coming out Oct 12-20th. Are the deer migrating south that early? Is there a certain elevation range that will be better suited for that time of year?
Thanks

I've never been to the Frank Church, but if you've never been then and can't scout before hand I would pick another area. That's the reason I've never gone.

Deer are not typically migrating that early. Have you hunted out west before?

I've hunted the Frank in the Middle Fork Zone. I have friends who've hunts near there. I think that area has fair or average deer density. Some larger bucks possible because of the remoteness. You could probably find better places. That area is more popular with nonresidents than locals in my experience living in Idaho. Expect no migrationand deer up high.

Last edited:
Yes i have, I lived in wyoming for 3 years and have hunted the mountains quite alot, that being said.. the frank is a whole different animal from what i've read and seen. Can you provide any insight on when the deer typically start their migration?
thanks

The migration depends a bit based on the immediate area and the migration route. The last week of October, especially the last few days, and the first week of November is the traditional bet. The snow will affect the movement.

Just have whatever aviation company fly you in to whatever airstrip you wanna muscle in on and plan on out hiking the 73 other folks that are hunting outta the same airstrip. Nothin to it really.

Yes i have, I lived in wyoming for 3 years and have hunted the mountains quite alot, that being said.. the frank is a whole different animal from what i've read and seen. Can you provide any insight on when the deer typically start their migration?
thanks

Unless you road hunted Wyoming, you’ll be fine in the Frank.

My experience is the deer migration starts the last week of October.

Just have whatever aviation company fly you in to whatever airstrip you wanna muscle in on and plan on out hiking the 73 other folks that are hunting outta the same airstrip. Nothin to it really.

The number of hunters will be lower this year with the new NR quota.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back