DIY hunting partner

elkhunter2

Looking for a hunter partner for DIY bow hunt in CO. I will be hunting unit 78. Start hunting around Sept 13 for 8 to 10 days. Packing in 3 to 4 miles.

Looking for hunting buddy?

Hi,
Saw your post regarding bow hunting Unit 78. Just curious as to whether you've ever hunted this area before? If you're going to pack in 3-4 miles, you'd probably be back on the South San Juan Wilderness area.
I live on the other side of these mountains in Unit 80. About 10 days ago, we tried to horse pack into the wilderness down there for our first backcountry camp trip. The trails were fine where the Sun had melted the snow off, however in the dark timber, there were thigh high drifts. What made us turn around and leave though, was the torrential streams from snow melt and all the rain Colorado's gotten this year. There was just too much icy, deep, fast moving water to deal with, as it's not a single crossing, but rather a great many streams. We were the only folks around at the two trailheads and roads we drove.
Sure seeing lot's of Elk lately though. During April/May, we were looking out our house windows over morning coffee, and counting 125 crossing the meadow 1/2 mile South of here.
My plans for where I'm hunting are yet to be determined.

I will be in 78 for 2 weeks or so also..
This will be my 5th yr straight hunting there..

This is my first time in unit 78. I'm looking at Navaho Peaks trail to start looking for elk. I can change area if I can fine someone knows a better area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back