Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

DIY Colorado Wilderness Hunt

kbhillhunter

Does anyone have any experience hunting in the Flat Tops or Weminuche areas of Colorado? A friend and I are looking at these areas. Targeting 1st or 3rd rifle.

I've hunted them both,more elk per square mile in the flat tops along with more hunters and outfitters...the Weminuche is very rugged country less hunters and a better chance at a quality bull as for which season I like 3rd rifle but the weather can get ugly pretty quick especially in the flat tops!

I've archery hunted the Weminuche several times. Success is definitely hard fought, its big country and straight up and down...but if you can get in deep and high enough there are some nice bulls. I've hunted 5-10 miles back and have yet to encounter another while hunting....Did I say it was tough country.

In early to mid September, I've found lots of elk way above timberline in the San Juan river drainage. I was sheep hunting and was a bit surprised to find elk up with the sheep. This is +12,000 ft. on the continental divide. I ran into a couple of groups of archers on my way in who were not having much luck at the 9000 ft level. Be prepared for very wet weather. Its the end of the SW monsoon season, and other than my ride in I was in rain gear all day every day. FWIW. GJ

Last edited:
I've hunted archery in the Flat Tops, on the east side. There are lots of elk, but you have to get far away from the trails/trailheads to get away from other hunters and backpackers, and the terrain can get rough real quick. It can be a lot more rugged than you think, but getting up on the high benches is a great way to cover ground and do some spotting, at least where we were. There is good fishing in many of the lakes as well. 1st Rifle would be my choice if I wasn't bowhunting. The weather can get pretty nasty in any season, even archery, but if you're used to backcountry hunting you should be prepared for bad weather.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back