DIY Black Bear

TWC

Now, I'm jumping a little far out there as I dont plan on doing my next DIY hunt for Elk until 2022 but is possible / a reasonable expectation to do a DIY spot and stalk hunt on black bear as a non-resident Alien (from the UK)? If not, what would a chap be expecting to pay to go with an outfitter? I wouldn't want to do over a bait site.

Cheers

Tom

What state are you wanting to hunt bear in? or are you pretty open?
I dont think I would mind, so long as it was spot and stalk. Prefer mountains but not tied to that idea.

I don't see how it would be any different than doing an elk hunt when it comes to rules

I'd suggest a spring hunt. Pick the state and go. There are a couple western states that allow baiting but it's not necessary. I've heard guys in Oregon kill more bears than there are in all of MT. I'm guessing that's a major exaggeration but something to consider when spending a pile of cash when traveling internationally. I know nothing of their permitting systems and how long it takes to get said permit. I know in MT, it is an over the counter license but there is a waiting period if you don't buy before the season starts.

I don't see how it would be any different than doing an elk hunt when it comes to rules

I'd suggest a spring hunt. Pick the state and go. There are a couple western states that allow baiting but it's not necessary. I've heard guys in Oregon kill more bears than there are in all of MT. I'm guessing that's a major exaggeration but something to consider when spending a pile of cash when traveling internationally. I know nothing of their permitting systems and how long it takes to get said permit. I know in MT, it is an over the counter license but there is a waiting period if you don't buy before the season starts.
Never been on a spring bear hunt, as they don't offer them out here. Every time I see one on TV, the hunters seem to get eaten alive by mosquitoes.

TWC, if you don't want to bait hunt, might you consider hunting with hounds? Northern New England states offer it (just got back from one myself in October). It is deep woods, but otherwise very unlike hunting over bait.

^^^ yep. Oregon has a ton of bear, I hunt it every year for elk and deer so I always add a bear and ML tag just in case. Check out Idaho too. California, believe it or not, has some really good bear hunting opportunities. There's lots of options for you.

Reactions: TWC
Tom, I don't see any distinction between aliens and regular nonresidents in the California regs. If you were interested in a DIY bear hunt you would have a long season to work with roughly:

Archery Aug 15 - Sep 6, 2020

Rifle Sep 19 - Dec 27, 2020

Tags are OTC, and the Mortality Quota is 1700 state wide. The 2020 kill numbers are under 800 currently.

There are certainly plenty of DIY spot and stalk opportunities in the National Forest system. Especially California B zones and D zones. Success rates are low mainly because most hunters look at bear as an secondary/opportunity quarry while deer hunting.

If you were interested in a hound hunt for bears, I'd recommend Idaho (Central to Northern). That would require an outfitter and run you between $4-5000 US. You could hunt there in the spring as well. One unique aspect there is you may use a deer tag to take a bear or wolf.

Reactions: TWC
Never been on a spring bear hunt, as they don't offer them out here. Every time I see one on TV, the hunters seem to get eaten alive by mosquitoes.

TWC, if you don't want to bait hunt, might you consider hunting with hounds? Northern New England states offer it (just got back from one myself in October). It is deep woods, but otherwise very unlike hunting over bait.
Yes, I would do it with hounds. I love shooting with working dogs.

Seems like Montana checks your boxes

Over the Counter
Spot and Stalk (hounds and baiting illegal)
Big Country
Plenty of Public Land Access
Amazing time to be in the mountains

It’s truly DIY as well. One can make it as difficult as they please.

I don't think you can bear Oregon for a DIY bear hunt. You can kill one in the spring and two in the fall. You can hunt everything from rainforest to the desert and bears are easy to come by. Non resident tag is the least expensive in the country at $16.50.

I don't think you can bear Oregon for a DIY bear hunt. You can kill one in the spring and two in the fall. You can hunt everything from rainforest to the desert and bears are easy to come by. Non resident tag is the least expensive in the country at $16.50.
Wow! I had no idea. If it wasn't for the Portland marxist thugs, I just might have to move out there. We only get one per year here.

Thanks everyone for your input. It’s much appreciated and gives some food for thought.

As has been mentioned Oregon is a good choice for bear. Non resident is $172 for a license and $16.50 for a tag. not too bad. Spring season is permit entry but tags aren't too hard to get. Fall is all OTC and you can get two bear. The season is Aug 1-Dec 31 so there is a pretty good window to plan a trip. (Tags have to be purchased by Oct 1) August and September seem to be the best time, before the woods are filled with deer and elk hunters. Most of the bear are in western Oregon which isn't really spot and stalk country. More spot and shoot. When you see one it is usually already in range. frequently within a few yards. My neck of the woods here in SW Oregon has the most bear and the population seems to have been growing fast in the last few years. so hunting them is pretty good. There are a lot of color phases. I have seen all black, black with a brown muzzle, cinnamon, chocolate, blond, blond with chocolate legs and head, cinnamon with chocolate legs and head, and one that was chestnut with chocolate legs and head. I have seen a lot that are a mix of black and brown that just look dirty. Not my favorite. I have seen one hide of a white bear but that was killed many years ago.

If you have the time, I think ID or MT would be a doable option. I see many bears in both states. I'd be sitting over wallows, more than spot and stalk.

False.

Massachusetts is $5.

If you opt for fall, CO is a great option with lots of bears, spot and stalk opportunities, and cheap tag (~$100). You could also do it for cheap in 2021 and scout an area for future antlered game.

Spring bear in eastern Oregon is popular for spot and stalk - the bears coming out of dens and eating grass to get the system going. Big country in the Hells Canyon area, that seems to be a good spot to go. I never got the chance while living there, but had many friends that made that trip every year. And not many skeeters.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back