DIY Audad Hunt

luckyluciano2

I am looking to do a DIy audad hunt either on public land or paying a trespass Fee to hunt private land im open for areas/states. I was thinking sometime in the early spring. anyone have any suggestion or contacts to do such a hunt?

Don't go to Texas. They all are corn fed out of a timed feeder in a high fence pen that's 100' x 100'

:rolleyes:

I am looking to do a DIy audad hunt either on public land or paying a trespass Fee to hunt private land im open for areas/states. I was thinking sometime in the early spring. anyone have any suggestion or contacts to do such a hunt?

Well I have no idea when they draw for it, but TPWD has a drawn hunt at Palo Duro canyon every year. It would be a DIY hunt for sure in some rough country.

My get on their website and check it out.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0112.pdf

Checkout page 29. Looks like there is a hunt at "caprock canyon" and palo duro. Looks like you missed the drawing for this years hunt, but there's always next year. Heck I think I'll put in for it...

Last edited:
The odds of drawing that tag are worse than a third season archery elk tag in unit 16D in New Mexico!

Google West Texas free range aoudad and you'll get some options. Not all of them are high fence hunts so don't believe that they are easy. If you go to west Texas you had better be in pretty good shape and able to hike in some rough terrain. Good luck and PM me if you want some more info.
Powderhorn09

Google West Texas free range aoudad and you'll get some options. Not all of them are high fence hunts so don't believe that they are easy. If you go to west Texas you had better be in pretty good shape and able to hike in some rough terrain. Good luck and PM me if you want some more info.
Powderhorn09

West Texas has no hills! There MOUNTAINS and kicked my butt twice. Auodad are tough and a blast to hunt.

Couldn't agree more! In fact, kind of addictive and a great poor man's desert sheep!
Powderhorn09

hey there, don't try to steal our saying. everyone in the hunting community knows that coues deer hunting is poor man's sheep hunting!

I'll be doing my first aoudad hunt this coming March. Will be in the Quitman Mountains just outside Sierra Blanca - that is some very rugged country to say the least. High desert mountains in the spring will still be a bit frosty I'm sure!

The ranch is private, but not high fenced - 38,000 acres!

Consider New Mexico. The mountains just south of Alamogordo have lots of them. Also, the rough volcanic areas west of Carrizozo have some. They are not easy, but are on public land.

How difficult is it to draw a tag in NM?
Just looked at the draw statistics for 2013. Not near as bad as I expected! 72 tags in two different units for 383 applicants for those tags combined. Much better than any other "sheep" hunt. BOY got one down there and said it was a TOUGH hunt, but I'm not sure which unit he was in.

We're heading down to NM in a month to try them out. Free-range, public land, and we are totally stupid about how to hunt them. Never even seen one before.

It just sounds like a good excuse to get outdoors in the offseason. Should be fun.

I was fortunate to draw a permit in the TWPD draw. The permit was for Devil's River and was valid for unlimited quantity of aoudad, goats, etc over a 3 day window. No feeders. Fences in the park had been useful when was a working ranch but now had cuts and sections missing so had no impact on animal movement.

Was a fantastic hunt on my own in some rough terrain that at times was steeper than what I tackled in Alaska on a mountain goat hunt. Rattlesnakes, cacti and agave everywhere it seemed. Would go back and do this hunt in a heartbeat.

I will look into the NM hunts where they call them Barbary sheep but is the same species. I hunted coues a couple of weeks ago in some steep ridges in AZ and it did remind me of the aoudad hunt. Aoudad will move a bit more so I think that makes it easier to locate aoudad vs. coues.

We're heading down to NM in a month to try them out. Free-range, public land, and we are totally stupid about how to hunt them. Never even seen one before.

It just sounds like a good excuse to get outdoors in the offseason. Should be fun.

By no means am I a auodad/barbary sheep hunting expert. IMO from what I learned hunting them in west Texas DIY. Get high and glass a lot! Good huntin'

By no means am I a auodad/barbary sheep hunting expert. IMO from what I learned hunting them in west Texas DIY. Get high and glass a lot! Good huntin'

Thanks. That's the plan. We just bought tripods for our binoculars, hopefully that will help us spend more time behind the glass. I'll let ya'll know how we do.

Need to pic one up myself! Thanks for reminding me. Cabelas road trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back