Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Distance to camp from hunting areas

Clawsar

17 days and counting to archery opener and I still haven't finalized my plan. I have three nights and three and a half days (1/2 day Friday for scouting) and I'm planning on riding my bike in 3.5 miles to the end of a trail, hiking 1.5 miles along a river to where I can cross, and then have a .75 mile hike to the basin I really want to hunt (about 1 mile by 1.5 mile oval). I had planned to bivy hunt (in a hammock) but after trying to get some data on the wind it seems like it changes quite a bit.

My concern is that I'll spread my stink too much bivy camping and am wondering if I should set up camp next to the river instead. If there is no action in this basin then I can hike another mile and have another equally sized basin.

Any thoughts? The FWP biologist for the region said it was a great spot that often holds elk but is a pain to get to. The river is usually to high to cross but I've found a way and looking forward to it.

Thanks!

Well I don't know the lay of the land, etc but I always say camp as close to where your hunting as reasonably possible. Now that doesn't mean camp within 200 yards of where the elk are. I say u get into the general area and just see. Camping by the River may be y best option. My experience is you never really know until u get in there and see where the elk are,water sources, lay of terrain, etc. And more than likely the elk are gonna move around some so u may have to adjust. But I would probably cautiously work my way in especially if you are going 3 days early.

17 days and counting to archery opener and I still haven't finalized my plan. I have three nights and three and a half days (1/2 day Friday for scouting) and I'm planning on riding my bike in 3.5 miles to the end of a trail, hiking 1.5 miles along a river to where I can cross, and then have a .75 mile hike to the basin I really want to hunt (about 1 mile by 1.5 mile oval). I had planned to bivy hunt (in a hammock) but after trying to get some data on the wind it seems like it changes quite a bit.

My concern is that I'll spread my stink too much bivy camping and am wondering if I should set up camp next to the river instead. If there is no action in this basin then I can hike another mile and have another equally sized basin.

Any thoughts? The FWP biologist for the region said it was a great spot that often holds elk but is a pain to get to. The river is usually to high to cross but I've found a way and looking forward to it.

Thanks!

Not sure what to tell you as far as how far to camp exactly....but I sure like the sound of the spot based on what the biologist said. Sounds like you have a hidden gem. I hope it all works out for you. Id say .5-.75 miles is plenty but also depends on topography. Good luck!

If early season and spike camping I seldom have a fire and usally camp pretty close to my primary glassing spot or spot I want to start in morning usually with a topography feature between us just to minimize contact with camp. Very common to have elk walking near Camp at night and doesn't seem to bug them much, and I can hear all the buglse so know where there at! Some nights the elk almost make it hard to sleep. Everyone has own ideas find what you enjoy...

C

This is the beauty of bivy hunting. Camp where you land at dark. Dont over think it.

The elk are constantly moving. To think you can determine how far to camp from them is over thinking it imo. You are set up to run and gun - don't waste time hiking back to a camp. It will become pretty obvious once you get in there I bet.

If I'm right in the middle of them at dark I will go up hill and camp just over the closest ridge but I never waste any energy trying to get away from them. They will be pretty close to that spot in the a.m. And that is exactly where I want to be.

The wind WILL change, swirl and twist in the mountains. It is part of the game. Honestly I do the best I can with the wind but I've found to not let it dictate my hunt because it will change. About the only promise you get in the mountains.

I spent way to many hours pre dawn and after dusk hiking back to camp. It is a huge waste imo if you are set up to bivy hunt. That reason alone is why I bought all the light weight gear to bivy. Hunt your arse off and the camping spot will be where you fall for the night.

Staying mobile and flexible will keep you on the elk. Hiking back and fourth worried about scent will wear you out.

Last edited:
This is the beauty of bivy hunting. Camp where you land at dark. Dont over think it.

The elk are constantly moving. To think you can determine how far to camp from them is over thinking it imo. You are set up to run and gun - don't waste time hiking back to a camp. It will become pretty obvious once you get in there I bet.

If I'm right in the middle of them at dark I will go up hill and camp just over the closest ridge but I never waste any energy trying to get away from them. They will be pretty close to that spot in the a.m. And that is exactly where I want to be.

The wind WILL change, swirl and twist in the mountains. It is part of the game. Honestly I do the best I can with the wind but I've found to not let it dictate my hunt because it will change. About the only promise you get in the mountains.

I spent way to many hours pre dawn and after dusk hiking back to camp. It is a huge waste imo if you are set up to bivy hunt. That reason alone is why I bought all the light weight gear to bivy. Hunt your arse off and the camping spot will be where you fall for the night.

Staying mobile and flexible will keep you on the elk. Hiking back and fourth worried about scent will wear you out.

This^^^

Steve E sure simplified it well. One morning after sleeping in the pickup I got out and stood on a small rug in my socks, stretched, looked around and am facing a 5pt bull smiling at me at 30 yards. Another morning I pulled into a different area in the middle of the night and walked about 200 yards in the morning and already was into elk. Just try to be quiet and keep a low profile and stay as close as you reasonably can.

I have gotten out of my tent by my truck to take a leak in the morning and the giant bull that had been screaming half the night was right there 50' away with the wind blowing right at him.....my unit was across the road...lol I had slobber all over the rain fly from him.

Awesome guys thanks for the advice! I will try to be ready for anything and see how everything goes.

Thanks again!

To add to the other responses, my wife and me truck camped 10' off of a dirt road at about 9000'. 2 days later a heard of elk with a really nice bull were in a meadow 100 yards from us.

Awesome guys thanks for the advice! I will try to be ready for anything and see how everything goes.

Thanks again!

That is the attitude. Ready for anything and able to go where the elk head and you will have a blast!

Not sure how much you have bived so if this is old news forgive me but the one thing I do worry about is beetle kill. Have seen and heard 100's of trees come crashing down the last couple years. I spend some time looking around my sleep spot checking tree health. So much standing dead now days it spooks me.

Have a picture of a doe mule deer killed by a standing burn that fell over. Hit her right across the back of the head/neck and she died right there under the tree. I had walked this trail the evening before it happened and took this picture the next morning. She had not even starting bloating yet and I had slept about 300 yards from her but i found a small clearing to set up. Listened to trees falling all night. Spooky.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Even healthy looking ones are coming down in my neck of the woods. Not sure how you can tell on these green ones?? I even push on them before i lay down:)
image.jpg
Be careful and good luck!!

Last edited:
That is the attitude. Ready for anything and able to go where the elk head and you will have a blast!

Not sure how much you have bived so if this is old news forgive me but the one thing I do worry about is beetle kill. Have seen and heard 100's of trees come crashing down the last couple years. I spend some time looking around my sleep spot checking tree health. So much standing dead now days it spooks me.

Have a picture of a doe mule deer killed by a standing burn that fell over. Hit her right across the back of the head/neck and she died right there under the tree. I had walked this trail the evening before it happened and took this picture the next morning. She had not even starting bloating yet and I had slept about 300 yards from her but i found a small clearing to set up. Listened to trees falling all night. Spooky.
View attachment 60683
View attachment 60684
Even healthy looking ones are coming down in my neck of the woods. Not sure how you can tell on these green ones?? I even push on them before i lay down:)
View attachment 60685
Be careful and good luck!!

That is a great point and not something one would really think about after a grueling day of hiking/hunting. Good stuff SteveE.

Thanks for mentioning that SteveE. When I backpack anywhere I always put most my weight on any tree within falling distance. Also make sure to keep an eye out for widow makers ordeal limbs on healthy trees. I haven't had an issue yet butt hose pictures are good reminders.

Last year watched a bull bed
240 yards from camp, looped around and got the wind in my favor and arrowed him at 32 yards.

Well I tried to fix your last picture, but it just won't flip!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Back