Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Dissin' da deer

I think everyone has just about said it all but what the heck. I agree with those that said we need to do our part to eliminate bad press. With all of the anit-gunners and anti-hunters out there, one hunters bad example quickly becomes a stereotype and spreads fast. That being said I've been guilty of pictures in poor taste myself in the past. Some can be fun for buddies to look at but not the kind you want running around the internet. If you want to put a hat on a deer and take a picture, great. Show your friends that hunt, but keep it out of reach of those who are against us.

I posted a picture earlier of two antelope my buddies shot this year. The first picture was in the field with the hunters. Great picture. I think the hunters should be in the picture with their trophies. Proof it was theirs for starters. The second was of the heads on the back of a tailgate with a Bud Light bottle between them. After posting and looking at it I wondered why I posted that picture or why I took it to begin with. We celebrated a couple of good goats with a beer when we got home. That should be a pic for us and not the world wide web.

The picture of the deer with the side of it's head blown out did disgusted me to a certain extent. I'm happy for the hunters who got the meat (and didn't ruin any of it) but I did think the photo was in poor taste. It doesn't appear ethical or humane in the viewpoint of those who don't hunt. It's just the kind of thing they like to see and exploit. I guess my hunting ethics wouldn't allow me to make that shot to begin with. Neck and head shots are marginal at best. Maybe the meat doesn't get shot up but you have to make the perfect shot to make a kill and at any kind of distance you don't have much of a target. I had a buddy lose a trophy deer that way once thinking he'd hit the spine and drop him without losing any meat. Tracked blood for two days before 6" of fresh snow made it impossible to continue. The deer may or may not have made it. It was a shame though and he hasn't gone for anything but the vitals since. I'm sure I would have enjoyed talking about a good head shot if I had to make one, but probably wouldn't have shared it on the internet. I don't know anything about the hunters who posted that picture either so I'm not going to pass judgment on their choice of shots.

I don't think pictures of deer in the back of pickup trucks is poor taste. As one poster said, sometimes you forget the camera or it's too dark and the only option you have is to wait till you get back to camp or the house. I was not fortunate enough to get field pictures of my deer this year because my digital camera was in use by another family member when I went out on my hunt and the 35mm would not focus in the dark. I had a friend take pictures once home with the deer. Parading around town with tailgate down and a bloddy carcass in the back for everyone to see is probably poor taste again.

A little blood is part of the experience. I don't think that showing a dead animal in a pool of blood or blood all over a pickup is in good taste. But it's part of the equation and you don't have time to clean up for a field photos. You can maneuver the deer so that a clean side is in the picture but you can't always hide it all. It's a memory and that's the way it was in the field.
Anyway, another two cents. What are we up to now about $1.50?

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskeyRiver
Back