Dismal duck hunt

mtmiller

Well the hunt didn't go as planned, but it beat sitting at home all weekend.

First off, I got to the lake Saturday afternoon to find it frozen. Note to self, hard water no good for ducks. This changed the game plan so I headed to another area I figured there may be some ducks. Cool, as soon as I get a few dekes out, this guy came into the spread. Boom, dead duck.

P1040372.sized.jpg

Axl had to chase him a little in the water and was having a hard time keeping up. Finally he got the bird and then gave me the BIRD soon after this picture was taken.

P1040363.sized.jpg

Oh well, as long as I don't have to get in the mud I fugure it will be a good hunt anyway. At that point I realize that I don't have a duck call. Now I am a crappy caller, but it sure would have come in handy when ducks would come in for a look and then continue on.

Continued...too many images apparently.

That summed up the afternoon. Only got to hunt about an hour and a half and only killed one bird. Now how was I going to get the decoys out of that stinky hell hole?

P1040400.sized.jpg

P1040416.sized.jpg

P1040421.sized.jpg

Axl was not impressed to say the least.

This morning was more of the same. A few ducks checking out things, but not committing. Note 2 to self, always leave the calls in the duck hunting bag.

We did end up with a nice green wing drake and Axl did a good job at finding a cripple in the thick sheet. He didn't see it go down, but after a few minutes of hand signals he got his trophy.

P1040485.sized.jpg

I hope the rest of you are still out chasing critters. Enjoy yourselves.

Looks like fun to me...Had to put our lab to sleep about 6 weeks ago...Now I have to reason (at least no dog) to go waterfowl hunting. I'm not about to come out of the sludge looking like your lab....
And you trained him to bring in the dekes at the end of the day?
Enjoyed th pics!
Thanks
a*r

Dismal duck hunting is RIGHT!!!

I think the ducks are almost all short stopped up in Canada. We went out on Thurs., Veteran's day, and shot a limit of green heads and gadwalls. Went out on Saturday and shot 4 ducks (1 mallard drake, 1 suzie, 1 drake blue bill? and a lesser scaup). We did shoot a limit of geese, all lessers. We need some weather in Canada to push the birds down.

Nemont

Elkl Turd went out today... I stayed home Doing the Mr MOM thing with kids wit hthe Chicken POCKS :D

miller just tell Axle that "people" pay good money at spas for a mud bath like that!
I do like that shot of him coming out of the 'tails...birds in the rushes can be hell!

great pics Miller as usual. :cool: Since Axl is the Hunttalk poster dog for the site he should have his cold weather vest embroidered with the Hunttalk logo ;) :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back