Dillon 550RL

Calif. Hunter

I bought a used (like new) Dillon 550RL progressive press on Friday. Then I had to spend two days cleaning out my garage and then clearing more space on my bench. It came with a kit for .45 ACP, but it took a while to get my dies set up right. Once everything was set, it worked beautifully. I do not think I will use it for any rifle cartirdges, though, except maybe .223. To me, it looks like it will work fine with ball powders, but I like to throw a light charge and then trickle up to the desired weight with rifle cartridges. It will probably stay "dedicated" to .45 ACP, at least for now.

Anyone else have experience with Dillon progressive presses?

CH, I load everything on my Dillon. It's a lot faster to size a case, throw a charge and seat a bullet all with one pull of the handle. I still pull out every rifle case and weigh the charge. I just pour the powder back into the case and slip it back into the base plate, then rotate it. Works just fine. If you have three or four calibers you load all the time, it's easier to get different tool heads for each caliber. That way the only thing that needs changing is possibly the base plate and maybe the primer holder and seater.

:cool:

Back when I was shooting IPSC, I knew a few three gun shooters who made all their .223 on a Dillion 550, W/ball powder. One of these guys was a Grand Master, and former state champion. I ask him about the quality of mass produced rifle ammo and he said it (the 550) made consistant sub M.O.A. ammo ( without hand weighing the charges ).
Give it a try !

I use a dillon for everything. It started life as a 450 but upgrades keep it current. Ball powder or extruded- makes NO difference. .32 S&W long up to .300 ultra mag,,, that thing just turns out good ammo.
A=con,, what grand master did you talk to? wasn't me :p :rolleyes:

I have a question - the primer feed has stopped working. I took out the tube inside the larger tube, and a few primers looked like they were stuck and would not feed into the sliding arm with the primer seater.

Now the smaller primer tube, with the plastic primer orifice attached, does not want to go back into the larger tube that is attached to the press. I've tried spinning it, to try to get the ridge into a slot inside, but it still doesn't want to go in - if I force it, I just ruin the primer orifice. (Is that about as clear as mud?)

Any suggestions? I do not use the low primer sensor thing, as I just keep count.

I've got a good friend that has a Dillon progressive press and uses it for .223 and 9mm, his .40 and .44 mags. He loads like 1000 rounds easily in a short session and swears by dillon. Buy brass and bullets by the 1000's and powder by the keg and off ya go!!

Cali,
I have a 550 as well. My greatest concern was consistency. My primary round I intended to load was 22-250 which I shoot many rounds a year. I saw incredible consistency in everything cept powder charge. My pet load was imr 4350. The machine did not handle the extruded long powder at all. I had to develop a new load with a finer powder and ended up using H380. It handles ball type powder extremely well. I highly reccomend the press, but you may need to develop new pet loads using the finer powder.
WD

Calif. Hunter said:
I have a question - the primer feed has stopped working. I took out the tube inside the larger tube, and a few primers looked like they were stuck and would not feed into the sliding arm with the primer seater.

Now the smaller primer tube, with the plastic primer orifice attached, does not want to go back into the larger tube that is attached to the press. I've tried spinning it, to try to get the ridge into a slot inside, but it still doesn't want to go in - if I force it, I just ruin the primer orifice. (Is that about as clear as mud?)

Any suggestions? I do not use the low primer sensor thing, as I just keep count.
are you sure that the plastic primer release is seated all the way on the tube?

CH, The primer feeds have two different "orifices". make sure you have the right one attached to the tube. You can remove the entire primer feed system by taking out two screws, located under the base. Remove the screws, take down the feed system. Look thru the tube and be sure there isn't anything fouling the outer tube. When you're sure there isn't, then play with the primer tube until you get it to fit. Once you get the feel for doing it, it's really easy. The trick is to be very gentle. (Where have I heard that before?)

If you do screw something up, just call Dillon and let them know. That's the only place that I know of who still supports their product, unconditionally.

:cool:

Thanks! I did screw up one of the primer orifices by trying to force it. Fortunately, the guy I bought it from showed me the difference and gave me two extras for large primers. That leaves me one left...

I'll try taking off the primer feed assembly and cleaning it all out. That is one advantage and disadvantage of buying a used one already set up - youcan start reloading right away, but you are unfamiliar with the press' assembly!

optional powder measure

Here's the solution to using extruded typw powders on a dillon. This is for my 650, but I'm quite sure it would work on a 550. It's available at midway or direct from Hornady. You can use the measure pictured or a RCBS also. I wouldn't try it with large charges of the longer stick powders, they can "bridge" and not drop well. I have a powder check die, it's removed here to show the linkage better.

image2_2.jpg

Here it's set up for .223.

dillon%20.223.jpg

I taken the primer assembly completely apart, and put it back together according to the instructions. The primer cup barely clears the primer orifice (red plastic piece for large primers) and still does not drop a primer. Dillion is sending me some new ones, so hopefully a new primer orifice will sole the problem.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back