Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Different strains of CWD for Deer/Elk.

I'm sure I don't understand this, but are they saying they created a CWD variant that infects a new species (mice)? If so, how many layers of security do they have to make sure it doesn't get outside the lab??

I'm sure I don't understand this, but are they saying they created a CWD variant that infects a new species (mice)? If so, how many layers of security do they have to make sure it doesn't get outside the lab??
This topic scares me all the time

No. They are basically making mice that express the same proteins that elk and deer do. A prion is just a type of protein- all mammals have their own type of prions that are encoded in our DNA. A prion disease is just a disease caused by a variant form of a normal prion protein. So the breakthrough of this research then is that they have created mice who produce these normal elk and deer prions. That allows them to study the effects of CWD on the actual deer and elk protein strains vs studying the effects of CWD on the mouse versions or other transgenic versions of that protein. Nothing about the CWD variant prion itself has changed.

Does that make more sense?

No. They are basically making mice that express the same proteins that elk and deer do. A prion is just a type of protein- all mammals have their own type of prions that are encoded in our DNA. A prion disease is just a disease caused by a variant form of a normal prion protein. So the breakthrough of this research then is that they have created mice who produce these normal elk and deer prions. That allows them to study the effects of CWD on the actual deer and elk protein strains vs studying the effects of CWD on the mouse versions or other transgenic versions of that protein. Nothing about the CWD variant prion itself has changed.

Does that make more sense?

So they are making mice that produce elk/deer prions/proteins so they can infect them with CWD? These elkmice cannot reproduce? Or how do they keep them from spreading?

Yes, building mice so they can infect them with CWD.

They are captive engineered lab mice that live their lives under strict bio security to ensure they aren’t exposed to any pathogens prior to study, and experiments are done in BSL-2 or BSL-3 labs. They may or may not be able to breed-depends on the genes that have been manipulated. They certainly are not kept in an environment where they have unrestricted contact with other mice or are just breeding willy-nilly. Regardless, there is absolutely no difference between these mice and how they’ll be handled vs any of the billions of other transgenic mice that have been used for decades in all types of biomedical research, including on far more dangerous diseases than CWD. Bio security procedures are well established at this point.

Yes, building mice so they can infect them with CWD.

They are captive engineered lab mice that live their lives under strict bio security to ensure they aren’t exposed to any pathogens prior to study, and experiments are done in BSL-2 or BSL-3 labs. They may or may not be able to breed-depends on the genes that have been manipulated. They certainly are not kept in an environment where they have unrestricted contact with other mice or are just breeding willy-nilly. Regardless, there is absolutely no difference between these mice and how they’ll be handled vs any of the billions of other transgenic mice that have been used for decades in all types of biomedical research, including on far more dangerous diseases than CWD. Bio security procedures are well established at this point.

Glad someone is confident in procedures ;) As for me, I will set a Google search alert for "zombie mice." J/K, I'm sure there are much scarier things that I should be worried about. Thanks for the education.

Back