PEAX Equipment

Diet and Nutrition

Running is really not healthy over the long term. Better to focus on weight lifting and high intensity interval training. But to specifically answer the question, I'd say shorter distances at a faster speed. But better yet, just go hiking in the mountains.
So I've already said my bit over the corruption of everything by influencers, but this from Thomas DeLauer really intrigued me. I'm neither an exercise physiologist nor a nutritionist, so I can't evaluate anything he is saying...

I do want to ask him when he is 61 how it's going.

I will not be running unless there is a bear chasing me. I walk under my pack and add more weight to it as I get more fit.

Down 7 lbs in 2 weeks now. Trying to stay with mostly non processed meals and more veggies and fruit.
Tuna steak stir fry yesterday and antelope steak with broccoli and baked potato for dinner tonight.
It is always tough on night shift weeks, my body definitely craves carbs to try and get some extra energy.

Bruh!! GoHunt launched there training gear. I ordered 2 of everything all in a size smaller than I wear now of course. Don't hold out on me @BackofBeyond we could match.

Bruh!! GoHunt launched there training gear. I ordered 2 of everything all in a size smaller than I wear now of course. Don't hold out on me @BackofBeyond we could match.

They don’t have size schmedium, so I’m a no dawg.

Does anyone have any idea or way that calculate burnt calories while hiking with a pack. Couldn't find anything where you could add weight or incline to it? I did one mile on treadmill at 15% incline with 30lbs in pack. Treadmill says like 280 but I don't know how much the weight helps or how accurate that thing is for that matter.

@JLS Phone update won't let me quote your post 😡. It's literally flat as a pancake around here. I try to do a little of everything last week for example something like this. Trying to lose weight and just get my lungs in better shape.

M-15 to 20 minutes of lifting, run a mile.

T-Bowflex trainer (elliptical with program of rest and short bursts)

W-Bowflex again, lift for 20 minutes or so.

T-Run another mile.

F- rest day then Saturday picks up where Monday left off again.

No idea what I'm doing really but it feels right amd I'm losing weight pretty good. Every two weeks I bump up how much I'm lifting, how fast I'm running or distance etc.
Might be worth trying some HIIT workouts. Les Mills online has a brutal HIIT program, they also have a high rep, low weight program that has helped my endurance hunting in the mountains.

Does anyone have any idea or way that calculate burnt calories while hiking with a pack. Couldn't find anything where you could add weight or incline to it? I did one mile on treadmill at 15% incline with 30lbs in pack. Treadmill says like 280 but I don't know how much the weight helps or how accurate that thing is for that matter.
Doesn’t matter. Get yourself a 5 gallon bucket of Mtn Ops Ignite and another of Magnum. You need to ingest at least $50/week of supplements or you’ll never be a real mountain hunter!

This thread seems like a fitting time to share my health journey over the last 6 years. In my younger years, I was a 6'3" 275 lb defensive lineman and was a really active guy with sports, lifting, working construction, hunting, etc. After college was over I spent a few years working active jobs, then at 28 I took a desk job full-time and had our first child the next year. Within a few years I had ballooned to 325, it was absolutely embarrassing. Between by 4 year old nephew calling me fat and the Dr telling me I was close to pre-diabetes, I decided something had to change. I made a commitment to get into mountain shape so I could get back in the mountains and try some backpack hunts. That february I decided I wanted to be 280 by September and finally committed to a real weight loss plan. To start I just changed up my portions and counted calories. I cut down starches, added extra veggies, and reduced my meat a little. The big difference was counting calories. I don't have good control with my food, so counting calories is the only thing I can do to keep myself accountable.
That September, I was able to get all the way down to 281 and by the end of hunting season I was well under. I was doing so well I got really interested in nutrition and gut health. My wife and I decided to try the paleo diet and were very strict for about 6 months, then slowly started to add foods back into our diet. For me, not a lot changed, I don't seem to have any major food allergies. My wife was a different story though, we discovered she was slightly lactose intolerant and her body didn't like processed oils (vegetable oil). She lost 15 lbs quickly just from inflammation of her digestive system and several minor nerve issues she was having went away when her body wasn't inflamed.
Fast forward now another 4 years and we eat probably an 80% paleo diet. Very little processed food, lots of meats and veggies, and limited simple carbs (like bread). I have discovered my body runs well on healthy fats, my endurance and recovery hiking is significantly better when eating a lot of healthy fat. I never get low blood sugar shakes anymore either, even when I fast all day working around the house. I have also been able to get all the way down to 260 last year during hunting season, I haven't been that light since my freshman year of college.
This was a timely thread, since I'm back up to 280 and counting calories again to get back on track. Working from home the last few years has been hard, counting calories now is the best way to keep me out of the pantry during the day.
I always recommend to people to try a restrictive diet for a few months just to see what your body likes and doesn't like. It can be very eye opening like it was for my wife. From there, you can make the lifestyle choices that will be sustainable in the long term.

It's been a few weeks, so I figured I would post an update and share a few things I have learned along the way:

- I am currently at 168 lb. I still could lose more. I am targeting 160.
- I saw no physical benefit or weight loss in cutting carbs. I did not like it at all. If anything, it messed with my head, overall performance, and muscle gain.
- I have been able to dial my calories. If I eat 2700/day or more I gain fat. If I eat 2400/day I stay the same. I will start to lose about a lb. every 2-3 days if i stick to 2100/day, and I am disciplined about it.
- I noticed more fat loss, and increased gains by upping the weight lifted and lowering the reps.
- I noticed more gains by doing a push/leg/pull split, and resting every 4th day, rather than trying to go to the gym 6 days a week.
- This much weight loss messes with your mental well being. I can't really explain it. I feel like there's something wrong with me. It's strange and I don't recognize the dude in the mirror.
- I need new clothes.

The last 10% is the hardest. That's when you need to optimize your eating and exercising, but may need to take it a step further and figure out what barriers you might have. It could be hormones or food intolerances that won't let you get that last 10% no matter how well you are doing on your plate or in the gym.

You may also want to take a look at your body composition. Find someone in your area with an InBody570 and get an analysis done. It will help you determine what a right weight for you in and identify your body composition, muscle mass and body fat. It can track your changes to tell how you are really doing and whether you are gaining/losing muscle/fat.

I finally got this done. I was 167.4 lbs and 12.9% body fat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back