Did you say fishhhhh?

northwestalaska

Up here in NW Alaska we have fish! I have a blast catching and releasing lots of nice fish and I thought I might share some of my favorites.

I live 33 miles north of the Arctic Circle and we have 4 of the coolest National Parks only a short boat ride from Kotzebue. Now short means you can get there in less than a day of river travel. Noatak, Kobuk Valley and Cape Krusenstern Nationals are the most assessable and all above the Arctic Circle.

Pic #1 Pike, fat and nasty from Noatak National Park

Pic #2 a bizarre Lake trout caught up near Kobuk Dunes which are the largest Dune formation north of the Arctic Circle. It takes 2 days to get this far up the Kobuk River and about 400 miles, take your own gas!

Pic #3 Shee Fish. Only found up here or in a small drainage in Siberia. We catch them through the ice and on rod and reel, most are in the 25-35 pound class but I have caught them over 40 pounds, and they taste like Lobster!

Pic #4 Arctic Char! Fun to catch and the state record was caught in a very special river not far from Kotzebue. Come up fishing and I will point you in the right direction!

Sorry if they are too large, I don't know how to compress them yet!

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
Kotzebue, Alaska
www.northwestalaska.com

Attachments

• 107_0732.JPG
    107_0732.JPG
    900.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 111_1130 (2).JPG
    111_1130 (2).JPG
    869.6 KB · Views: 168
  • fishing 03.JPG
    fishing 03.JPG
    511.1 KB · Views: 155
That pike was a small one. We caught 2 over 40 inches but that one had my cute 10 year old in it so I had to post it!

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Countyr Rentals
www.northwestalaska.com
Kotzebue Alaska
33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Nice fish! Those char are some good eating fish.

I spent a week or so up on the Noatak a couple years ago. Met a nice family there in Kotz from UT if I remember correctly. They are school teachers there.

A DIY moose/bou combo is on the to-do list for that area.

Contact me when your ready! Remember to plan 12 monthe out so we can pull it all togeather.

Walt
Northwestalaska Back Countyr Rentals

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back