Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Did you say fishhhhh?

northwestalaska

Up here in NW Alaska we have fish! I have a blast catching and releasing lots of nice fish and I thought I might share some of my favorites.

I live 33 miles north of the Arctic Circle and we have 4 of the coolest National Parks only a short boat ride from Kotzebue. Now short means you can get there in less than a day of river travel. Noatak, Kobuk Valley and Cape Krusenstern Nationals are the most assessable and all above the Arctic Circle.

Pic #1 Pike, fat and nasty from Noatak National Park

Pic #2 a bizarre Lake trout caught up near Kobuk Dunes which are the largest Dune formation north of the Arctic Circle. It takes 2 days to get this far up the Kobuk River and about 400 miles, take your own gas!

Pic #3 Shee Fish. Only found up here or in a small drainage in Siberia. We catch them through the ice and on rod and reel, most are in the 25-35 pound class but I have caught them over 40 pounds, and they taste like Lobster!

Pic #4 Arctic Char! Fun to catch and the state record was caught in a very special river not far from Kotzebue. Come up fishing and I will point you in the right direction!

Sorry if they are too large, I don't know how to compress them yet!

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
Kotzebue, Alaska
www.northwestalaska.com

Attachments

• 107_0732.JPG
    107_0732.JPG
    900.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 111_1130 (2).JPG
    111_1130 (2).JPG
    869.6 KB · Views: 168
  • fishing 03.JPG
    fishing 03.JPG
    511.1 KB · Views: 155
That pike was a small one. We caught 2 over 40 inches but that one had my cute 10 year old in it so I had to post it!

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Countyr Rentals
www.northwestalaska.com
Kotzebue Alaska
33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Nice fish! Those char are some good eating fish.

I spent a week or so up on the Noatak a couple years ago. Met a nice family there in Kotz from UT if I remember correctly. They are school teachers there.

A DIY moose/bou combo is on the to-do list for that area.

Contact me when your ready! Remember to plan 12 monthe out so we can pull it all togeather.

Walt
Northwestalaska Back Countyr Rentals

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back